We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

family fun in maine

rome, ny
4 posts
Save Topic
family fun in maine

We are planning a trip to Maine in July. there will be three families with children ages 7,8,9,10 and 19. Is there anyplace on the ocean naturally that would be fun for these ages and also possible near such attractions as fishing, outlet shopping. Also, what if there is one the best place for seafood. Thank you for all your help.

Maine
Level Contributor
830 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: family fun in maine

Tell me the one best place for a steak in New York, and I'll tell you the one best place for seafood in Maine.

;-)

Maine
Level Contributor
13 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: family fun in maine

Hi ~ With all the children, Old Orchard Beach is great because they have the beach with amusement park, games, etc., and Funtown/Splashtown is nearby. all the varying ages should find something fun there.

Outlet shopping in Kittery isn't far to the south - maybe a 15 min. drive. Seafood restaurants abound in this area, but you might try this link for ideas:

…allinfoabout.com/travel/diningsouth.html

Best wishes!

Maine
Level Contributor
13 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: family fun in maine

Hi - I wrote this a moment ago, but it seemed to be lost, so if it comes through twice, I apologize.

Old Orchard Beach is a wonderful place to bring families - with the amusement park, beach, and Funtown/Splashtown nearby - any age will find something to do.

Kittery (shopping outlets) is just to the south about 15 minutes or so.

Seafood restaurants abound in this area, but you might try this link for ideas:

…allinfoabout.com/travel/diningsouth.html

Best wishes!

Maine
Level Contributor
13 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: family fun in maine

Well, both posts are there now - sorry about that. :(

rome, ny
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: family fun in maine

thank you for your help I was looking at Old Orchard Beach. Will the adults like that area also? Thank you for your help

Maine
Level Contributor
13 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: family fun in maine

Well, that's a good question. Old Orchard Beach has a LOT to do - concerts, night life, etc. No offense to the locals there, but it doesn't have the beauty of some of the more northern coastline, but you can take a short drive up the coast for that.

Maybe this link will help a bit?

www.oldorchardbeachmaine.com/Activity.htm

Best wishes!

rome, ny
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: family fun in maine

lovemaine, what places more north but not to far are better. If not to far we may stay in a place more scenic and drive to things for the kids during the day. thank you

Maine
Level Contributor
13 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: family fun in maine

Well, it's only an opinion - I don't want to step on any toes here or hurt any feelings. All of Maine has beauty... but, in my opinion, the coastal beauty lies north of Portland. Yarmouth area, Freeport, and on up to the peninsulas and islands like Bailey Island, Popham area, Pemaquid. Of course even farther, up to Camden, is heavenly.

The Freeport area might be great for you - you'll have all the outlet shopping there. You'll still have to drive for beaches, but there are other things - Bradbury Mountain state park - you can hike to the top (VERY easy hike) to see a wonderful view of Casco Bay... and not far from Portland and Cape Elizabeth (more beaches).

Lots to do in the Brunswick/Bath area, too - which is only another 15 min. north of Freeport.

Does that help at all or just confuse things more? :)

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: family fun in maine

I second the idea of avoiding OOB--you get can amusements rides, parking nightmares and arcades in NY--and going for more Real Maine. Muscle-powered, wholesome outdoor activities like hiking, biking, kayaking, exploring tide pools, sampling the local color, boat cruising, etc.

With three families, perhaps you can rent a huge house on the shore somewhere near Portland (would you consider one of the islands in Casco Bay?) or go up the road to Harpswell, Phippsburg, Georgetown, Boothbay or Bristol. Catch a gorgeous but less touristy beach at Crescent, Popham or Reid State Parks. Freeport would be an easy trip from there. Fried seafood and boiled lobster is all over that area (The Lobster Shack in Cape Elizabeth, Cooks Lobster House in Harpswell, Shaw's Wharf in New Harbor, Robinson's Wharf in Boothbay, The Sea Basket in Wiscasset)

The Maine Maritime Museum in Bath is educational.

There are lighthouses throughout the region. Pemaquid Point in Bristol and the Portland Head Light are the two most outstanding.

Take the Casco Bay Ferry for a sunset cruise.