We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

long weekend in september

cape cod
1 post
Save Topic
long weekend in september

I am looking for a good place to go in early september for a long weekend. There will be about 10-12 of us and we are looking for a secluded vacation rental on a lake. There are so many options its hard to narrow it down. I would like to keep the drive within 3 1/2 hours of Boston. We have some people who would really like to do some fishing but mainly we would just like to relax and hang out. Does anyone have any suggestions for where I should be looking for rentals? I found a few interesting things in the Sebago Lake area.

Maine
Level Contributor
830 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: long weekend in september

You're right - there's a lot of options! If you look at a map of Maine, 3.5 hours from Boston would include everything south of a line from Bethel in the western mountains to Rockland on the coast. Sebago Lake is the largest body of water in this area, and will have the most properties. But there's a lot of lakes in here, though I suspect there won't be any properties that would fill your request of "secluded." The lakes in Southern Maine are pretty well developed, and you won't have the area to yourselves. If you're envisioning a quiet, idyllic scene of canoes and log cabin with nary the sound of a jet ski or power boat, you might be disappointed. But, the lakes are beautiful nevertheless, and a far cry from typical city environment. I found a surprising number of places that would hold that many people and rent for a weekend on Vacation Rentals by Owner. Check out, for example, http://www.vrbo.com/69498

On the Maine vrbo.com site, scroll to "mountains & lakes" region and just look at the number of properties! You can sort by number of bedrooms to help. Another option is a lake resort type of place. If an area or property seems interesting, maybe you could ask more specifically.

2. Re: long weekend in september

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:15 am, September 07, 2009