We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Graduation Vacation with 18 year olds

5 posts
Save Topic
Graduation Vacation with 18 year olds

Me and my friends just graduated high school at 18. We’re trying to take a small vacation at least 100 miles from where we live but our problem is that we’re 18 and hotels and cabins are only for over 21 year olds. Is there any place around that has some lodging for people at least 18 so we can spend at least 3 nights there at Maine?

10 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
6,404 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Graduation Vacation with 18 year olds

Yes when are you going, what is your budget per night per room, and Maine is a big state....do you have any ideas about where in Maine you want to go? Lake? Ocean? City?

Also many places will require a credit card at check-in, will one of you have one?

Edited: 5:22 pm, June 13, 2018
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Graduation Vacation with 18 year olds

Or budget is 200 a night, basically 2 rooms for 3 nights. We’re trying to go to south of Maine, maybe by the lake or the ocean or city. Our biggest plan is we want to find a place that would allow 18 or indeed to rent a couple nights such as a cabin or hotel. Is there any place in mind?

5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Graduation Vacation with 18 year olds

Also, we plan to go by the end on July, we’re deciding whether or not to chill at the beach or go out to town to have fun(anything that’ll allow 18 or under in)

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,007 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Graduation Vacation with 18 year olds

What lake? what city? what ocean?

This post doesn't make sense really...

Where are you from?

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
7,461 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Graduation Vacation with 18 year olds

The question makes sense to me. Sounds like these young people, probably from Massachusetts, are willing to go anywhere in southern Maine that would be willing to rent a cabin or motel rooms to a group of 18 year olds. Not many properties are willing to do that because they fear underage drinking and partying for which they could be arrested for "providing a space for underage drinking". Yet there are certainly still young people in this world who can responsibly take a short vacation to celebrate their graduation together. I wish I could help.

5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Graduation Vacation with 18 year olds

Exactly what we’re looking for. But me and my 4 friends aren’t even going to drink at all for the vacation. Is there really no place in the south of Maine that allows lodging for 18 or under?

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,007 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Graduation Vacation with 18 year olds

Sounds about right....you can't buy beer or smoke or gamble under a certain age.,....or drive a car or get a credit card, or rent a car......booking a hotel room kinda falls into that type of thing.

OP just seemed pretty vague....100 miles from where they live...and by the lake or the ocean or the city is pretty vague as well.

Good luck...

Level Contributor
6,404 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Graduation Vacation with 18 year olds

La Quinta Inn allows 18 year olds to check in if they have a drivers license/I.D and a credit card. There is one in Portland, so you could easily drive to Cape Elizabeth/Two Lights Park/Crescent Beach, or down to Old Orchard Beach and also out to see the beautiful Sebago Lakes area. Lots to visit in and around Portland, too.

Marriott hotels will allow check in if a parent fills out a form (forms) beforehand and guarantees payment for any damages etc. There is a Residence Inn in South Portland/Scarborough and they have some large units that may fit you all in one big room....but late July is prime time anywhere near the southern beaches and rooms are expensive.

There are some other choices that allow check in at age 18 if the guest has a credit card in their name.

5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Graduation Vacation with 18 year olds

Thank you, at least you were helpful by giving us useful information. Only question is, will these hotels accept debit or cash because we all have debit

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
4,191 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Graduation Vacation with 18 year olds

Maybe some glamping in Kennebunkport?

sandypinescamping.com/campground-kennebunkpo…

No clue what their age minimum is. One of you really should have a credit card, especially if you find a hotel. If you use a debit card, the hold put on it as a security deposit may leave you wihout funds.

Reply to: Graduation Vacation with 18 year olds
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted