We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Volunteers -- Where to stay?

new york, ny
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Volunteers -- Where to stay?

Hello folks,

I work at a college and will be taking about 20 students to volunteer for a week at a homeless agency in NOLA. Their work will be primarily around MLK and Lasell St. and around Baronne Street. My question is -- where can our students stay during taht time? Are there any cheap hotel/hostel accomodation available that are safe and clean? Any recommendations? Your help is appreciated. Thanks!

Shreveport, LA
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Volunteers -- Where to stay?

Hello N.Y. Volunteer,

Check thru the United Methodist Church system, the Methodist churches in the New Orleans area have been housing volunteers in Sunday School rooms on cots.

We had a group go down right after New Years for 4 days - guys stayed in one set of rooms and girls in another set and that church had showers for them to use. The group was responsible for their own meals. Only complaint I hear was they wish they had brought air mattresses to use on the cots.

FEMA is busy tossing evacuee folks out of hotels right now, so some rooms may be opening up after the Mardi Gras crowds leave town.

Good Luck and Thanks for Helping!

Shreveport Gal