We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fall Color in Daniel Boone National Forest

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
200 posts
Save Topic
Fall Color in Daniel Boone National Forest

Hi,

I am planning on spending two days in Daniel Boone National Forest will reach early morning on Oct 30 and will return on Oct 31 late evening. What would be the best locations to view Fall color this weekend? What would be best drives and the best hikes?

I would really appreciate recommendations from area experts.

PS: Right now I have booked a hotel in Lexington, but can change that depending on your recommendations.

Thanks,

Louisville
Level Contributor
962 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Fall Color in Daniel Boone National Forest

I'm actually in Louisville, but I suspect conditions are about the same in the Daniel Boone National Forest.....

We had such a dry Summer that once the leaves change, they aren't staying on the trees that long. I'm currently looking out my window at a big, yellow Maple with about 70% of its leaves already gone.

I'm not an expert on the northern end of the park. Natural Bridge area might be nice. Not too much of a drive from Lex. I believe I saw on the news a few days ago that parts of Red River Gorge are closed. Fires. Not sure if that's still a factor.

You may also want to check out Cumberland Falls. Stay at DuPont Lodge or in one of the cabins.

Best of luck this weekend.

lexington
Level Contributor
220 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fall Color in Daniel Boone National Forest

The leaves in the Gorge should be at or just past peak. I don't think any of the area is closed, but there is a fire ban in some areas. Try the Sky Bridge, Angel Windows, and Rock Bridge trails. You can pick up a trail map at any of the businesses in Slade. Natural Bridge State Park is worth visit as well. Don't miss Miguel's Pizza, near the entrance to Natural Bridge. Lexington is about a 40 minute drive.

lexington, KY
Level Contributor
43 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fall Color in Daniel Boone National Forest

I second Natural Bridge and the Gorge. The drive getting there is also one of my favorites. The Mountain Parkway is a nice drive from Lexington (about 45 minutes).

The Gorge is actually located on the south side of the Mountain Parkway and Natural Bridge is on the north side. I really like the Gorge area much better, but as you heard, there has been fires there so I don't know if it's accessible or not. But if it is, I would go there.

Enjoy your time in Kentucky!

lexington
Level Contributor
220 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fall Color in Daniel Boone National Forest

Probably ought to check this: wkyt.com/home/headlines/Wildfire_forces_more…

5. Re: Fall Color in Daniel Boone National Forest

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:46 am, April 27, 2011