We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

May RV Traveling in Iowa

Denver, CO
12 posts
Save Topic
May RV Traveling in Iowa

Hello,

We are considering a trip across Iowa in early May. Some possible sites we are considering visiting are Pella, Amana colonies, the Amish areas, Madison county, east Iowa near the Mississippi. This would be a road trip with our new travel trailer. Is May a good time of year to visit? I have never been to Iowa and would welcome suggestions. We like scenic areas and going off the beaten track.

Thanks,

Carrie

Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
349 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: May RV Traveling in Iowa

Probably not the worst time. Things will be greening up and not yet dried out.

I you're wanting to see crops in the field, you're probably a bit early to see that type of thing, especially this year?

Iowa
Level Contributor
1,448 posts
455 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: May RV Traveling in Iowa

Dubuque is a nice riverfront town to visit, although I'm not sure how RV friendly it is.

Okoboji in upper western Iowa has a few smallish but nice lakes. Nearby is the Grotto of the Redemption, which is unique and pretty.

I've heard the Iowa capitol building is very nice, but haven't seen it yet (we're visiting it in a few weeks). In May, Living History Farms might be open which is nearby.

Fairview, Illinois
Level Contributor
273 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: May RV Traveling in Iowa

Amana Colonies is nice and will occupy a few days to cover everything, there is also an outlet mall about 5 miles down the interstate,

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g38041-d22…

We just discovered this link a few days ago, looks like an interesting area, we are hoping to visit here this spring.

Dubuque, Iowa
Level Contributor
2 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: May RV Traveling in Iowa

Pella is a cute Dutch town. It is small but there are quite a few things to see and do. People travel from all over for the annual tulip festival. They also have the best bakery I have ever been to. Most everything is closed on Sunday so plan your stop on a different day. Iowa City is Home to the University of Iowa and is also the first State Capitol. Yours are available of the old capitol building. From Iowa City you should stop in Cedar Rapids and visit the Czech Museum. It was rebuilt after the flood of 08 and it is worth the trip. There is all's the NewBo neighborhood nearby that is worth browsing through. Amanda is also a nice stop but has become pretty touristy. There is a really nice camp ground nearby though. Dubuque is a beautiful place to visit the Mississippi and there is a campground right on the riverfront as well as one outside of town in Swiss Valley Park.

Dubuque, Iowa
Level Contributor
2 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: May RV Traveling in Iowa

Pella is a cute Dutch town. It is small but there are quite a few things to see and do. People travel from all over for the annual tulip festival. They also have the best bakery I have ever been to. Most everything is closed on Sunday so plan your stop on a different day. Iowa City is Home to the University of Iowa and is also the first State Capitol. Yours are available of the old capitol building. From Iowa City you should stop in Cedar Rapids and visit the Czech Museum. It was rebuilt after the flood of 08 and it is worth the trip. There is all's the NewBo neighborhood nearby that is worth browsing through. Amanda is also a nice stop but has become pretty touristy. There is a really nice camp ground nearby though. Dubuque is a beautiful place to visit the Mississippi and there is a campground right on the riverfront as well as one outside of town in Swiss Valley Park.

6. Re: May RV Traveling in Iowa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, April 06, 2015