We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coming to Indy for Colts Opener!!

Coming to Indy for Colts Opener!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:13 pm, September 16, 2013
Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,352 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coming to Indy for Colts Opener!!

Can't answer all your questions (have to leave the tailgating to someone else), but can handle a few & make some comments:

1. You're right, generally speaking downtown is the place to stay; both in general and specifically for Colts games.

2. All of the downtown hotels are within walking distance to the stadium, but some more than others. There are two or three that are *right* there, just steps from the stadium. That said, these don't do quite as well on the walkability scale for things *other* than the stadium.

3. This is because the stadium (and these hotels) are located on the south side of some major RR tracks that run east/west through downtown. It's not that it's really that far to get to the rest of downtown stuff (which is generally located on the north side of the tracks), but they create a mental barrier as you're essentially walking through what seems like a tunnel with nothing on either side for a fair distance. Google Streetview will show you what I mean about this.

4. Beyond that there are a couple of hotels that are very close (Crowne Plaza & Omni are basically right on the north side of the tracks) and another cluster on the north side of the Convention Center, that are fairly close). The rest are scattered throughout downtown, some closer some farther. I'd guess that the farthest ones are probably getting close to a mile from the stadium, maybe a 15-20 minute walk (the two north of the State Capital on the canal & the La Quinta, west of the Circle on Washington).

5. As for which hotel is "best?" Well, that's a subjective call. It will depend on how much weight you put on various aspects: cost (including cost of parking), amenities, "flavor," proximity to the stadium & other things, etc. If you can give us some information on how you weigh these things, then we can make suggestions; beyond that I'd say look at the TA rankings, ratings, reviews, etc. Just remember my advice of not paying too much attention to the number rankings, but consider them in tiers (the difference between #1 & #5 probably isn't much, but the difference between #3 & #30 is probably starting to get significant).

I will close this by saying that I've stayed at many (most?) of the downtown hotels over the years and there really isn't a bad one in the bunch. I wouldn't hesitate to stay at any of them; of course some are "better" than others.

6. As far as a steak place. I, and many others, will suggest you consider St. Elmo's; it's certainly one of the more famous (non-chain) steak places in Indy. I enjoy eating there, but don't generally think it is as great as some people. (I personally find it a mystery why it's shrimp cocktail is "famous," I consider it a one-trick pony and about a subtle as a large rock - the sauce is primarily horseradish - wow!?!?!). Beyond that: Mo's and Fogo de Chao come to mind right away, but there are others. You might check Urbanspoon, it's my "go-to" restaurant site and Indy has the critical mass of users necessary for a crowdsourced site. Here's a link to the Indy page:

urbanspoon.com/c/40/Indianapolis-restaurants…

From there you can filter on cuisine (steakhouse), neighborhood (look at Wholesale district, downtown, maybe Mass Ave and others depending on whether you're willing to drive or not) and other factors. There's also other more restaurant oriented sites: Yelp (which I avoid if possible, but others swear by), Chowhound, and (of course) TA, but I don't know anyone who uses TA as their primary restaurant source (for lots of reasons).

Hope this helps,

hlo

2. Re: Coming to Indy for Colts Opener!!

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

3. Re: Coming to Indy for Colts Opener!!

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:35 pm, May 06, 2013
4. Re: Coming to Indy for Colts Opener!!

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,352 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Coming to Indy for Colts Opener!!

Pretty sure the Speedway does have tours and if nothing else there is a museum. Imagine the website will have info (on my phone or I'd leave a link).

That's it for now,

hlo

Edited: 6:25 pm, May 06, 2013
Fishers, Indiana
Level Contributor
25 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Coming to Indy for Colts Opener!!

Check out the Slippery Noodle. It's an old blues bar on South St just a couple blocks from the stadium and practically right on the other side of the railroad tracks from the Omni (if that's where you end up staying). It's supposedly Indiana's oldest operating bar and even was a hangout for Dillinger back in the day. They have two stages usually with live music and lot of people seem to crowd it and The Ugly Monkey down the street on game day, but I prefer the Slippery Noodle.

7. Re: Coming to Indy for Colts Opener!!

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 02, 2014