We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel options near Hammond/ Munster, IN for single traveler

3 posts
Save Topic
Hotel options near Hammond/ Munster, IN for single traveler

I am planning to travel to Indiana next week for business, and am looking for a hotel somewhere near the Illinois/ Indiana border which would be 2 hours or less from South Bend. I am planning to fly or take a train to Chicago, then rent a car fro the rest of the trip. Since I am probably traveling alone, I am looking for an area that would be safe area for a one night hotel stay. I don't know the area southeast of Chicago, and have read good and bad reviews of the Hammond & Munster areas. Lansing is another option, however, reviews are more negative. Anyone have suggestions?

Hebron, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,451 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel options near Hammond/ Munster, IN for single traveler

I live in Lake County and personally I wouldn't stay anywhere in North Lake County. There are a few hotels at I-94 and Kennedy Avenue but that area isn't that great anymore (don't mean to offend anyone who lives there but......) . I would suggest coming a little more south and staying in Merrillville or even go a little further east and stay in Valparaiso (It's only an hour and fifteen minutes from Valpo to South Bend via the Indiana Toll Road). Merrillville is just a short distance south on I-65 off of I-94. There are a lot of hotels around the I-65 and U.S. 30 area, although you should still be selective and not pick the super low budget hotels IMO. There is a nice Hilton Garden Inn right off I-65 (on Mississippi St). Another option would be to stay in Chesterton...there is also a Hilton Garden Inn right across the street from the entrance to the the Toll Road (if that is what you planned on taking to South Bend). If you have any more questions feel free to ask or message me.

Enjoy your trip to Indiana!

2. Re: Hotel options near Hammond/ Munster, IN for single traveler

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, April 06, 2014
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travelers can help.
Ask a question