We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Missed Toll in Rental Car, What to Do?

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,166 posts
189 reviews
Save Topic
Missed Toll in Rental Car, What to Do?

Hi All - I had a one day work trip to IL at the end of October and rented a car. During my return to the airport, I had directions to get onto 355. I was unaware that it was a toll road and by the time I realized it, it was too late. (I don't even know where I was supposed to pay the toll as I never passed through a tollbooth, but I must have missed something). Anyway, rental car guy told me to go online and pay it. I tried today and the website said I could not do so as I am beyond the 7 day grace period. I don't know what to do. The website says I can pay by mail with a violation notice, but I don't have one. I suspect that I am now going to get slapped with a large processing fee by the rental car company because they are going to receive the violation notice and probably send it on to me. Has anyone been in this situation in IL? Any advice? Thank you.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
13,778 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Missed Toll in Rental Car, What to Do?

If you missed the 7 days, you can't do anything about it. They only give you a 7 day grace period and after that, you're in violation. However, if you just missed one toll, I don't think they will ticket you. Pretty sure you have to miss three or four before they send out a ticket. At this point all you can do is wait and see if you get a violation.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,166 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Missed Toll in Rental Car, What to Do?

Thanks, I'll just sit tight and wait. Fingers crossed that I don't get one!

chicago
Level Contributor
8,264 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Missed Toll in Rental Car, What to Do?

I think the car rentals charge you $50.

Pensacola, Florida...
Level Contributor
1 post
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Missed Toll in Rental Car, What to Do?

BooKat: What was the outcome of this? I just did the same thing (rental car and several missed tolls, no freeking change on me; and one booth w/ no attendent). Did you get billed/ticketed?

Mike B

Edited: 9:55 am, October 20, 2014
Chicago
Level Contributor
6,520 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Missed Toll in Rental Car, What to Do?

The OP was here a year ago and is unlikely to still be reading this forum, so you may want to send a Private Message. Click on the OP's username and follow the directions.

Or just go to http://www.illinoistollway.com and pay the tolls you missed - you reference several missed tolls, but only one booth that had no attendant, so not sure how you missed the other ones, but just go to the webpage and you can pay there if within seven days.

Chicago, Illinois
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Missed Toll in Rental Car, What to Do?

Hi Wes,

Did you got violation notice through rental car company ?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
13,778 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Missed Toll in Rental Car, What to Do?

Sorry, wasn't me that missed the toll.

7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Missed Toll in Rental Car, What to Do?

Don't worry,Illinois tollway will send a notice to the car rental company and they'll charge it to your credit card that they have on your file.

9. Re: Missed Toll in Rental Car, What to Do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, September 12, 2016