We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! Weather and travel plans

Panama City, Panama
9 posts
Save Topic
Help! Weather and travel plans

We'll be arriving in Chicago this Saturday for a 1 week vacation. It will be our first time in the USA central region.

Due to current weather conditions, we're affraid to spend so much time in the hotel. Changing travel dates is not an option... we would appreciate any ideas to adjust our plans under these circumstances.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
2,389 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! Weather and travel plans

The city will not close if there is cold weather or snow. Those are regular occurances here everyone here knows how to deal with them. If there is enough snow to accumulate, it will be cleared quickly in the downtown area. The current forecast for the weekend is about 4ºC with some rain.

To prepare yourselves, you should have warm, comfortable, waterproof shoes or boots. While snow will be cleared, you will probably encounter puddles or patches of ice as you cross streets. You can layer a shirt, sweater and jacket to stay warm, then remove layers when you go indoors or if the temperature changes. You should also have gloves and a hat. If you can't find any at home, you can purchase them at most clothing stores in the city. As you may not have need for them after you leave Chicago, you may want to look at the discount stores like TJ Maxx, Marshall's or Burlington. Since stores are starting to stock summer items, you may also find these items on sale at the higher-price stores like Macy's or Bloomingdale's.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
15,980 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! Weather and travel plans

Over 9 million people live in the Chicago Metropolitan area and snow doesn't keep us off the streets. Dress warm, purchase some long underwear when you get here. Cover your head and ears and enjoy the experience so different from Panama. Remember our side of the equation: "Panama is so hot that I wilt every time I leave my air conditioned hotel. How can people live where the air is like breathing steam? ". Dress for the place you're visiting. Enjoy the difference.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
150 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help! Weather and travel plans

I'm still riding my bicycle around town on an almost daily basis!

The entire key is loose layers that trap body heat. If you're able to layer thin clothing, that's even better as you won't be feeling like a bulky snowman while walking around.

Consider layering a thin long sleeved shirt, and then a bigger t shirt under a sweater. Tuck your base layer into your pants. Cover your neck with a substantial scarf, your head with a hat and your ears with whatever you choose if your hat doesn't cover them. Layer on the bottom, too. A thin pair of insulated underwear or spandex/gym type pants, under a larger thin pair of pants under jeans.

For outerwear, I choose a sport type windbreaker over a hoodie type zip up coat. For me, stopping the wind is at least half of the battle. While I have 'real' winter coats, many of them are warm right up until there is a stiff breeze. Consider gloves that will accommodate tucking in at least one layer of your sleeves. Tuck your base bottom layer into your socks. A thin pair of dress socks under a thicker and/or wool pair is great. Forget short socks. Waterproof comfortable boots or shoes are ideal. It really doesn't matter how 'warm' a pair of shoes are...if your feet get wet, it's over.

Despite chilly temps, it's still been sunny so don't forget your sunglasses.

Frequent 'hydration stops' at local bars and time spent in your hotel hot tub won't hurt, either!

Don't worry, you'll be fine. The long range forecast (for whatever that's worth) has the majority of your stay in the 30's--not even close to how cold it could/can be here in the winter.

Have a great stay!

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
7,045 posts
281 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help! Weather and travel plans

check these sites before you leave home:

…wunderground.com/cgi-bin/…

http://www.chicagoweathercenter.com/

intellicast.com/National/Radar/Current.aspx

5. Re: Help! Weather and travel plans

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, February 09, 2014