We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cities near Chicago?

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Topic
Cities near Chicago?

Hi just wondering if anyone has recommendations of best cities to see around Ilinois after I have spent time with family for NY in Chicago? Cities with culture and attractions? The ones I should not miss.. I have done NY and Vegas on a previous trip so thinking outside the box to see Americans diverse country as best as I can... Am big nature fan and walks etc. In USA for 88 day trip!!

Is there an American Hostel/B&B sight for travelers? I have just purchase the bible "The Lonely Planet"

I am traveling solo by train most likey and then will get the California Zephyr Amtrak train to West Coast.

Heading over from Wales for NY 2013 and any tip would be much appreciated Jonny

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
56,313 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cities near Chicago?

http://visit-springfieldillinois.com/

http://www.enjoyillinois.com/home.aspx

chicago
Level Contributor
9,225 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cities near Chicago?

Nothing really worth seeing in illinois and driving in the midwest in January can be a nightmare

Miami for beach trip, Telluride for skiing, San Francisco or even Austin Texas

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
18,170 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cities near Chicago?

Dubuque, Iowa; an historic small city on the Mississippi River 90 minutes west of Chicago. Galena ,Ill is close to Dubuque and worth a visit. Give them a Google.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
18,170 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cities near Chicago?

Ps. Over here NY = New York (the state). NYC = New York City . NYE = New Years Eve

Chicago
Level Contributor
293 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cities near Chicago?

Once you're done with Chicago there's not much city to see in the Midwest, particularly as you're heading west. I'd get on the train and head to Denver and spend my time there. You might want to stop on the way in St. Louis (gateway to the American West, on the Mississippi River).

Nature: If we get a cold snap and the rivers freeze it is fun to take a 2 hour drive west of Chicago to the Mississippi river to see the bald eagles (they fly down from northern states and congregate along the river to fish, but that won't happen if there's open water up north). That would be the town of Galena and south. The U.S. Army Corp of Engineers manages the locks and dams on the river and on their website they post an eagle count at each lock, so you could check that out before going. Another option is to head southwest of Chicago to Starved Rock State Park, where the Illinois River has carved canyons in the limestone (hiking, eagles, a lodge, a nature center). You'll need a car for these trips.

Same distance north along Lake Michigan is the city of Milwaukee. The art museum has an addition designed by Santiago Calatrava which architecture fans like to see (not to mention the art works on the inside). Milwaukee is home to American beer, which might be fun to compare to what you have in Wales. Bratwurst is the other specialty.

Someone already mentioned Springfield, IL, where you can tour Abe Lincoln's home and visit a Lincoln museum. Can't get more American than Abe Lincoln.

Hope you enjoy your visit...my son got to visit Wales in 5th grade with friends and has very fond memories of climbing Mnt Snowden and eating pub food (not at the same time). Hope your trip is as enjoyable.

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cities near Chicago?

Cheers am heading down to Cali so will be doing San Fran. Just wanted to know States I could visit near Illinois?

Thanks for info Jonny

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
56,313 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cities near Chicago?

Are you limiting yourself to what's accessible via Amtrak? Or are you willing to hire (rent) a car to do some exploring? You're post is a bit unclear.

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Cities near Chicago?

I was limiting myself other than odd internal flight if I am honest.

As feel car not feasible on my own... Do want to see some major attractions and States and Cities near Chicago before heading down to West Coast San Fran, Santa Monica, SD etc and thought via train I could?

Many thanks Jonny

Edited: 6:24 pm, December 16, 2012
Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Cities near Chicago?

Thankyou so much for your in depth reply I feel privileged for your insight.

I will note down all places you suggest and as have otherr than heading West on California Zephyr Im sure I can fit a lot in or some ha!

I am a avid birdwatcher so the Eagles etc and Mississippi River sound immense. Thought of visiting Milwauke and defo want to goto Sprinfield Abe Lincoln is a legend in every way in my eyes to lead you through the Civil War and to be taken before his time a travesty.

I would love to goto Kentucky to home of Muhammad Ali but maybe to far for single train journey and also New Orleans home of Jazz.

Wales is beautiful very hilly and great scenery like New Zealand I found and full of sheep both countries haha! I live in Swansea and we have the Gower Penninsula so lucky so many beaches Pwll Du is my favourite and is secluded and you can be only person down there even in the summer. Check it out glad your son enjoyed.

My Auntie lives in Chicago and she has car so sure she will show me some of the local sights even if I don't have a car as hiring not feasible on my own. The odd internal flight is not out of the question. Looking forward to it now even if it will be cold and not summer ha.

Thanks again have a great festive Christmas and Happy NY!

Many thanks Jonny from Wales the green green grass of home!

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Cities near Chicago?

Has sorry I say NY for NY over here but I know the American lingo to just a slip of the typing ha cheers bud