We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping Trip Advice Needed Please!

Ellisville, Illinois
Level Contributor
17 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Shopping Trip Advice Needed Please!

In the past we have done power shopping trips. This year, we would like to do something different. We want more of a shopping destination with small, unique shops, winery or wine tasting would be a definate plus! We are interested in relaxing and people watching as well. I am thinking Geneva, Naperville, type places. What I'm interested in is a town with a hotel that we can walk from shops to room at our leisure. Also, good food would be important! There will be about 25 of us, so bed and breakfast pry out, would also be too pricey for such a large group. We are going first weekend in November. We are coming from Peoria area and would like to keep within a 2 to 3 hour drive. Thank you so much for your opinions, I certainly appreciate it and look forward to your responses!

Brookfield, Illinois
Level Contributor
364 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping Trip Advice Needed Please!

I am not sure you are going to find everything you are looking for. In the suburbs of chicago We have many quaint little areas with lots of boutiques, speciality shops and antiques........ but the hotel options that are walkable to the shops is very limited...you may want to head further North into LAKE Geneva, Wisconsin.

Some areas in the Chicago area are Geneva, IL (not close to Lake Geneva, WI), and Long Grove (but these do not have hotels walkable to shopping.

St. Charles has the old historic Hotel Baker in their downtown. (but probably has the least shopping in it's downtown - unless you are in to antiques) On the outskirst there is a mall and many hotels there. Pheasant Run resort is a great place for a girls getaway but it is not walking distance to shopping.

Naperville is a larger area it has riverwalk downtown area that has boutiques and lots of chains too (Gap) and dining options. Then on the West edge of town it meets up with Aurora wehre Westfield Fox Valley Center Mall is. Then there is a huge corporate area on the North edge of town........your hotel options will be found in the corporate area or possibly near the Fox Valley Mall. But very few walkable options.

Bloomingdale/Roselle area has some resort - Indian Lakes is the one that comes to mind (may have girls shopping package with shuttles to the Stratfor square mall) , the Lynfred Winery is there.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
15,101 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping Trip Advice Needed Please!

You're looking for The Mall of America in MN. …radisson.com/mweb/…mnblmmal. Oak Brook Mall in Oak Brook or Westfield in Schaumburg have numerous hotels and dining but no cute downtown.

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,075 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping Trip Advice Needed Please!

Galena has everything you are looking for.

Ellisville, Illinois
Level Contributor
17 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping Trip Advice Needed Please!

Thank you for the great advice. I think your right, it's tough to find all of those things in one place. Based on reasonable hotel rates and walking to restaurants and shop, we have decided on Schaumburg. We can always drive then to Geneva or Naperville, as well as I'm sure there's going to be tons of shopping and of course, so many restuarants, how will we ever decide . . .

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
45,533 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shopping Trip Advice Needed Please!

http://www.chicagonorthwest.com/

chicago
Level Contributor
8,265 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shopping Trip Advice Needed Please!

Schaumburg is most definitely not a place you walk to unique shops, it's a place you drive to chains

Wilmington, NC
Level Contributor
284 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shopping Trip Advice Needed Please!

I love Galena but the shopping there isn't what this group is looking for, I believe. Few clothing shops except for souvenir t-shirts. The Mangelson Gallery, but not much else for art or nice accessories. Lots of small gift-y shops and casual cafes, but not outstanding food.

Rockford, Illinois
Level Contributor
894 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shopping Trip Advice Needed Please!

purselady, I beg to differ.......

There are many shops in Galena that have clothing. It is not just tshirt type stuff either......lots of nicer options. We were just in Galena for the past few days and I saw many, many clothing shops. Besides that, there are many nice gift shops with unique gifts, in my opinion.

One Eleven Main had delicious food!!

9. Re: Shopping Trip Advice Needed Please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:18 pm, December 13, 2013