We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

lakeside camping

In cooperation with: Idaho Division of Tourism
Encinitas...
1 post
Save Topic
lakeside camping

I'm wanting to camp right on the shore of a lake like they often show in magazine ads or travel magazines. I've heard there are tons of places in Idaho where you can just drive up to some remote location and make camp pretty much on your own. Anyone with suggestions? Thanks

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
6,579 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: lakeside camping

You should get a detailed road map of Idaho ... The Northern Panhandle, has abundance of shoreline in public ownership... You most likely can find a picnic spot as described. Overnight camping however, will most likely be in designated private, State or Federal agency campgrounds ... Happy trails, carracar

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
10,460 posts
435 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: lakeside camping

yes, i do have lots of suggestions..but what time of year are you interested?? and what part of Idaho?? Any??

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
86 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: lakeside camping

Josephus Lake is a great spot for what you're looking for. However, for the "remote" and "pretty much on your own," this will be few and far between at this time of year, unless you're driving on a snow mobile.

Josephus will be a long drive (17-20 miles) on a rough dirt road but it is worth it. There's a lot of good hiking (Soldier Lakes) and fishing out of this area.

Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
75 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: lakeside camping

Three options: 1) Bear Lake in the southeast corner of the state, 2) Cascade or Payette lakes in southwest Idaho, and 3) Priest Lake in northern Idaho.

Cathy

Spokane, Washington
Destination Expert
for Spokane, Chelan
Level Contributor
10,409 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: lakeside camping

There are quiet a few in Northern Idaho, as Fat_tabby said Priest Lake is one, then Ponderay, Hayden lake, Spirit lake, there is always fun things going on at Lake Coeur d'Alene and the list goes on and on. You wouldn't have any trouble finding a place you liked/loved.

Collie

idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,460 posts
435 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: lakeside camping

ah, maybe we would iike ( i know , this forum is a slow one...but wait ) for the OP to come back on this thread..

Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
4,720 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: lakeside camping

Hi

My favorite lake side camping is Stanely Lake I have fond memory's of camping there when my son was little

I used to camp at the overflow camping area if all the campsites were full nothing like wakeing up to the tall mountain refected in the calm waters at sunrise. absolutely beautiful.

the last time I was there a few yrs ago they were doing a major renovations.

idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,460 posts
435 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: lakeside camping

hey, swadeeee,

they have done some renos, and a new cabin , ect..best thing is..it all looks the same. we always have such a great time there.

idaho misses you.

Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
4,720 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: lakeside camping

H

Off topici

I feel like I am back in Idaho now the area I an teaching at is haveing a cold snap down to 40 at night only 60's days all of the students are in class wearing coats hats and gloves. hopefull will only last a few more days., It is surrounded by mountans I keep expecting to look up and see snow. LOL

10. Re: lakeside camping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, December 20, 2014