We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which route? 93 or 28?

In cooperation with: Idaho Division of Tourism
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,871 posts
147 reviews
Save Topic
Which route? 93 or 28?

If you were near Arco and planing to do kind of a round trip would you take hwy 28 to Salmon and then down to Stanley before heading to Hailey?

Or would you take 93 to Challis (with a possible up and back ride to Salmon) before heading to Stanley.

I want to take 28 as that way I will for sure see Salmon and road south and it will only be an hour longer. But if the scenery is better on 93, we will do that route.

It is a two day trip. Not much time to explore, just drive and find somewhere to camp.

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
10,878 posts
451 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which route? 93 or 28?

i am a bit confused , happens all the time. where are you coming from??28 thru mackay, is beautfiul..besure to look for the sign, that says, "trail creek road"..very small, but that is the way that we come from the ketchum area, to mackay..the back road. then to 93 , up to salmon, and enjoy..back down thru stanley. make sure to eat at the stanley bakery, take something to redfish to eat, and take the boat ride around the lake..that is, if you have time. and then down to hailey area. is there some reason you are staying in hailey?? hopefully, you have friends there and can enjoy the cool town.

have fun.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
6,704 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which route? 93 or 28?

Should you be coming in from the Parks or Jackson The I-15/33/28 makes for a shorter & scenic drive to Salmon ... However if your at Arco , drive the 93... carracar

Idaho
Level Contributor
223 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which route? 93 or 28?

I would recommend taking 93 (28 doesn't go through Mackay). That will take you past the Lost River Range which is home to seven of nine 12, 000 ft peaks in the state and nine of the overall highest twelve peaks including Mt. Borah the state's highest. It's only about an hour and fifteen minutes from Arco to Challis so once you are about 10 miles out of Arco you get a lot of visual bang for your buck. Enjoy .

idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,878 posts
451 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which route? 93 or 28?

opps, yes, 93 thru mackay to the road by mountain borah...highest peak in idaho, and on to challis..then uo to salmon. just had some folks from TA say at the 100 acre b and b and they wrote that they loved it..from salmon, down to stanley,redfish lake and down to the sun valley/ketchum area,

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,871 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which route? 93 or 28?

Thank you for the responses. We actually will be going to Howe, from SLC, to visit family and then looking for a quick weekend loop trip before heading home. If 93 is the more scenic route we will take it.

Thanks Charley48 for the places to stop and visit.

We will plan to camp somewhere between Salmon and Stanley... Am I crazy to think we will find somwhere on a saturday afternoon?

idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,878 posts
451 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which route? 93 or 28?

kind of ...but weirder things have happened. you can call ahead, i believe to the forest service in challis and ask.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,871 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which route? 93 or 28?

I just thought I would share our weekend loop. Very quick trip, but it was sure good to get away from the daily routine.

Our family talked us into taking hwy 28 due to the shorter distance to Salmon. I'll have to take 93 some other time, we could see that range of mountains from some places on the way back and they looked wonderful.

We enjoyed the 28 drive. We stopped at all the historic signs along the way and learned abit of the history. We drove in to look at the old charcoal kilns which were very interesting. We drove up to Meadow Lake which was crowded and very beautiful. We enjoyed the ghost town of Gilmore at the beginning of that drive and all the old cabins. We learned about the Mormon mission that gave the name to the county of Lemhi. But most wonderful of all was the fact that Lewis and Clark came over the Lemhi pass into Sacajawea's home country and tribe. It gave me chills to know this was where she met her brother. I've loved that story from the time I could read. We stopped at the Sacajawea center outside Salmon and watched one of their many movies, and took a walk along the Lemhi river trail. It was a nice way to imagine the tribe living there with the tepees and wigwams set up. I thought Salmon was sure a beautiful place.

We drove up 93 to Montana and enjoyed that beautiful drive. We thought of Lewis and CLark trying to take horses through the woods. (Saw the 100 acre B&B and noticed it was for sale.) Then we headed south and found a campspot just south of Salmon along the river. There were plenty of little campgrounds all along 93 south and only one or two were full. We were the only overnight guests at the campground we chose which was also one of the only ones with a bathroom and water, some only had a place to park your car. It was a peaceful beautiful spot, but I did end up with lots of mosquito bites...

Got up early and broke camp and made the drive south along the Salmon river. Not sure what I expected, but it is just a desert river canyon all the way to Challis, I didn't find it all that enticing. The old dugouts were fun and It was nice to drive past Ellis and May where an ex-co-worker lived and worked at one time. Maybe she's still there, but we didn't stop to find out. Challis was a nice town. I wouldn't mind staying there if I wanted a gateway into the mountains.

We enjoyed the river canyon south of that on the way into Stanley. It was beautiful. Lots of rafters and kayakers out. We stopped at the hot springs, and then took the drive up Yankee Fork up to the dredge. That was very interesting. We thought about lunch in Stanley, but nothing appealed to us so we carried on to Red Fish Lake Lodge. We bought lunch there (nothing too special) and ate it looking out at the lake. I wanted to rent a boat for an hour and get out on the lake, but hubby wasn't interested. So we explored around the lake a little and then headed to Hailey. The drive to the headwaters of the Salmon was beautiful and over the summit there into the Sun Valley area. Drove around Sun Valley alittle, interesting to compare it to Park City. Not really our thing so didn't spend much time there. Stopped in Hailey at the Snowbunny drive in. Hubby got a road kill sandwich.

Then our last stop was at the Shoshone Ice Caves. I thought the tour was worth it. Very interesting. Then the longish drive home. It was very peaceful and restful road trip through an area of Idaho I haven't ever been. It is just a little too far to get there too often, but we might make the effort again one day.

8. Re: Which route? 93 or 28?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:24 am, August 01, 2014