We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scenic must-sees and light watersports within a day of SLC?

In cooperation with: Idaho Division of Tourism
Kanab, Utah
3 posts
Save Topic
Scenic must-sees and light watersports within a day of SLC?

Taking a road trip w/ dad out of Salt Lake City in mid July. I live in high, dry southern Utah (zion/bryce) and want to see some lakes and rivers. We have 4 days total, want to do a little driving (4-5 hrs max) and a little recreation each day, staying somewhere new each night. Ideal destinations would be float trips or light rafting, speed boat or jet ski tours or rentals, fishing (if it doesn't take massive gear or licenses), hot springs, hot tubs, and any other low-impact leisure. Good food and good beer required.

I would like to stay away from interstates and crowded hot spots, and don't mind a long slow back country road. We have no destination or itinerary, but it is fun to have a general direction for wandering towards. Asking google these same questions, there are so many spots along the snake river I don't even know where to start.

Where would you go, given the outline above, 4 days, and nowhere you have to be?

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
6,399 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scenic must-sees and light watersports within a day of SLC?

I suppose The Jackson WY. area and the Snake River at locations South & West to Heise Hot Springs... There is another interesting section West of Twin Falls, in the Hagerman Vy. carracar

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
10,385 posts
433 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scenic must-sees and light watersports within a day of SLC?

i would suggest the sun valley area..filled with hot springs, great fly fishing (everywhere, except privately owned , requires a license) float trips,great history, great beer and lots of lonely country roads...and just 5 hours from SLC

Tomah, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
473 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scenic must-sees and light watersports within a day of SLC?

Bear Lake on the Idaho/Utah border is very pretty. The bluest, azure water I've ever seen (there's some mineral in it that gives it such a unique color). You can rent jet skis on the north end (Idaho side) in the state park. The water level has been really low the last several years.

You can rent inner tubes and float down the river through Lava Hot Springs. There's a city shuttle that'll take you back to the top so you can go as many times as you want. The water is fairly slow and shallow. They also have a huge outdoor pool with a 10 meter high dive. Pretty small town, but they have a couple of good bars and restaurants.

Also, as carracar pointed out, Jackson, WY is a great option for a little more adventurous water outing. I recommend Mad River Outfitters (mad-river.com) and their Hoback Junction half day trip. Very reasonable rates, and a lot of fun.

Enjoy!

Kanab, Utah
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Scenic must-sees and light watersports within a day of SLC?

Thank you so much, these all sound like just the thing.

Dad and I have a big rafting and tubing history, from summers in No Carolina and Florida, so that idea made me smile. Hope the tubes have gotten bigger since then, cause I sure have :) more ideas welcome ut it looks like we could stay busy at these spots alone, thanks again.

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
10,385 posts
433 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scenic must-sees and light watersports within a day of SLC?

take jackson hole or sun valley...

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Scenic must-sees and light watersports within a day of SLC?

The rafting is very exciting!Protective measures to do.

7. Re: Scenic must-sees and light watersports within a day of SLC?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:47 pm, July 09, 2013