We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sorry sushi eaters..

NM
Level Contributor
955 posts
Save Topic
sorry sushi eaters..

I don't want to gross anyone out but I watched this show the other night called "Eaten Alive" (I think) about parasites people get and one way to get them was eating raw fish. It had stories of tapeworms and roundworms. It was very disturbing to say the least!

Does anyone know if it is just certain kinds of fish which shouldn't be eaten raw or all fish?

BTW- I ate lomi lomi salmon when on Kauai and didn't realize it was raw fish til a couple months later when I read the definition.

Molokai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,122 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sorry sushi eaters..

i ate lots of raw fish in poke (mostly ahi tuna) or sushi, or lomi salmon. in the case of lomi salmon the fish is mixed with tomato, onion and sea salt. this marinade "cooks" or pickles the fish so that anyting which may have been alive in it is now no more. but i would like to see some knowledgeable answers to this question as well. i believe that the proper way of keeping fish very cold also wipes out any dangers.

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
2,322 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sorry sushi eaters..

Japan still seems to be functioning fine.

I eat sushi all the time. Who knows, maybe luck will have it that I'll get something from it but I could probably also get ecoli from a hamburger if not cooked all the way through. I'll stick with the sushi.

NM
Level Contributor
955 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: sorry sushi eaters..

Oh, I forgot to mention the show also stated that there are, something like, "millions" of people with parasites and most don't even know it.

Molokai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,122 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: sorry sushi eaters..

that is why it is important to eat yogurt. its good bacteria overcome the nasty ones. but that is getting off-topic. if i have all those tenants residing in me, at least they should pay some rent.

5. Re: sorry sushi eaters..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:18 am, August 18, 2009