We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hawaii Honeymoon

New Jersey
6 posts
Save Topic
Hawaii Honeymoon

In June, my fiancee and I embark from the swamplands of Newark en route to a place we have always dreamed about going to - Hawaii! We just booked the flight and decided to spend our first two nights in Oahu to recover from the long flight and to see Pearl Harbor (I am a history buff so I can't pass that up) and some other sights the island has to offer. Afterwards we are heading to Kauai for 4 nights and then finishing out our stay with 5 nights in Maui.

A few questions:

It seems that Hawaiian Airlines and Aloha Airlines are the main inter-island modes of transportation. Are there any big differences between the two? It also seems that Aloha offers more flights so we'll probably be booking with them for the most part. We have booked one flight from Maui to HNL but the other flights we still have to figure out. Any info would be appreciated.

In Kauai, we have discussed staying at the Hyatt but it is quite pricey. I did hear about the possibility of acquiring STAY elite certificates which would allow us to book at $250 a night which is far less than any of the current rates. Does anyone have any more info on this? On the website, I tried to see if the dates would be blacked out but it wouldn't tell me without the certificate codes.

If the Hyatt doesn't work out, what is a good romantic hotel in Kauai? Any ideas on things to do on these islands? We're not really big into the night life scene. But we would like to eat at good restaurants, see a lot of nature, and relax at the beach.

Well those are just a few questions we have right now. I'm sure there will be a lot more. Can't wait to start the trip!

Holo Holo Private Taxi Tours
Taxis & Shuttles, Hiking & Camping Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Private Tours
Johnny Cab
Taxis & Shuttles
Go808 Express
Taxis & Shuttles
Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,905 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hawaii Honeymoon

I'd spend 3-4 nights Oahu and the rest of the time on ONE other island. The interisland hops sound short, but consume a lot of your precious vacation time due to security, checking and waiting for luggage, getting rental cars, dropping rental cars, packing and unpacking. The ideal woudl be to fly INTO your first island, do one hop and fly OUT of your second island.

After you get past the jet lag and see what Honolulu has to offer, rent a car for a day or two and see the rest of Oahu.

Hop to Maui. It has the widest choice of lodgings in the islands and there is a nice mix of natual beauty and "things to do/see". If you MUST see Kauai on this trip, consider a day trip w/helicopter or boat tour. Or you could do the same and have a taste of Big Island.

The interisland flights are like busses -- hop on, grab a seat, drink a fruit drink, hop off. Some of your fellow passengers are commuting from one island to another for work.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,853 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hawaii Honeymoon

Well, I would tend to agree with Sue - just do one other island unless you can squeeze out more time. It's really good to have at least one week for each island (other than your time in Oahu). BUT going in June - I would not miss staying on the North shore of Kauai. It's exactly what you describe - great beaches, incredible scenery - almost heaven on earth. Stay in the Hanalei or Princeville area and you'll be handy to the restaurants, shops, etc. Best of luck to you! :)

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
770 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hawaii Honeymoon

I have to agree... we just did a two week honeymoon - three nights on Oahu, the rest on Maui. I took the TA members advice and went woth two (as opposed to three) islands in two weeks. It was nice to really feel like we got to know Maui. We did split Maui into three nights at the hotel Hana Maui (a dream come true) and then a week at the Embassy Suites.

Check out the Hooilo House - wow. Just google it. You'll find you'll spend a lot less time poolside than you might on other vacations, so going for a mega resort might not be the best financial option. I am a serious resort snob and I told my new hubby I'd stay almost anywhere just to have some time on Maui again!!!

Check out the Ritz Carlton in Kapalua - it was GORGEOUS and the price is really good. We had luck with greathawaiivacations.com and Costco travel for deals.

CONGRATS!!!!

4. Re: Hawaii Honeymoon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:18 am, August 17, 2009