We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can you do 4 islands in 2 weeks?

NH
3 posts
Save Topic
Can you do 4 islands in 2 weeks?

We want to see Maui, Kaui, The big island of Hawaii and Oahu, can it be done in 2 weeks?

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,902 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can you do 4 islands in 2 weeks?

You can, but you're going to spend almost half of your time on planes and waiting for rental cars. Much better to plan on 2 islands in 2 weeks and leave time for just kicking back on the beach. Trust me, you'll be back.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
13,829 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can you do 4 islands in 2 weeks?

The first time we came to Hawaii, that's what we did. We had a wonderful time and before we left we knew we wanted to come back. That trip let us pick our "favorite" islands and when we came back we knew better where to stay and what we wanted to do.

But even if that first trip had been the ONLY one, I would not have regretted seeing the 4 islands. They are so different!

We went to Oahu, stayed 3 nights, then Big Island for 3, Maui for 3, then Kaui for 3, then back to Oahu for 1 night before returning home to the east coast. You might be able to fly into Oahu, then plan your hops so as to be able to return from Maui or the Big Island...United flies to LAX and SFO from Kona and we take the afternoon flight and connect to a red-eye to the east.

Milwaukee, IL
Level Contributor
14 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can you do 4 islands in 2 weeks?

I hope so, My husband and I are doing a cruise and will see 4 islands in 7 days. Look into cruising, the meals are included, you will not have to keep packing and unpacking, and will get to see multiple islands. We booked NCL Pride of Hawaii for the end of this month, and for $966 each have a room with a balcony.

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
4,314 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can you do 4 islands in 2 weeks?

Okay Honu Oahana ... so what are your favorite islands now??

Curious...

Grayson, Georgia
Level Contributor
428 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can you do 4 islands in 2 weeks?

Someone else mentioned a cruise . . . since you have two weeks, you could consider taking a 7-night cruise and spending the second week on one island. This way, you get the taste of the various islands with less travel hassle, and you can end your vacation with a relaxing week in one place.

Soddy Daisy...
Level Contributor
1,804 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can you do 4 islands in 2 weeks?

You can do it, but you will lose 3/4 of a day each time you jump. You'll pay more for rental cars (daily vs. weekly rates). You'll have to use hotels rather than condos, so you'll pay more for lodging.

The way I see it, you will run yourself ragged and pay more. You won't see more by jumping as each island has a week's worth of things to do and see.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
3,212 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can you do 4 islands in 2 weeks?

We did 3 islands in 15 nights, 5 nights per island, Oahu, Maui, and the Big Island. That was as busy as I would have wanted to be. Adding another island we would have been too busy and missed out on things.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
13,829 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can you do 4 islands in 2 weeks?

Our absolute favorite is the Big Island. great shore and boat snorkeling, nice laid back feel (even though it's getting more congested, it is still not congested by our apalling DE-Metro Area standards), nice people, beautiful greenery, great hikes, the VNP.

We go every year, sometimes twice.

Maui is our second favorite. For a number of years we would split the 2-week winter trip between Maui and Big ISland, but Maui started seeming a little too hectic--everything starts so early to beat the winds, plaus what finally did it was when we were staying in Kaanapali and a fire closed the road to Maalea for a day...people were stuck at the airport, stuck up there and missing flights, etc. The next time we chose Makens since that has a few more options in the way of roads. But last few years we just stick on the BI, staying in Kohala.

new hampshire
Level Contributor
456 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can you do 4 islands in 2 weeks?

yes you can and we have with no problems.

Trip 1 - 5 nights Kauai, 5 nights Maui

Trip 2 - 2 Nights BI, 5 nights Maui, 5 Nights Kauai, 2 nights Oahu

Trip 3 - 7 nights Maui

Next Trip - (only 254 days away but who's counting) 5 Nights BI, 5 Nights Maui, 5 Nights Kauai

Yes you lose some time traveling but only 3-4 hours - not 3/4 of a day! The trip from the East coast is very far and I am going to see everything I want to see, which means island hopping. You'll have plenty of time to do plenty of things and even relax when you want.

Have fun planning!

Derby, UK
Level Contributor
909 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Can you do 4 islands in 2 weeks?

mlb&family

We also did four islands in two weeks (in fact, we did them in 12 days!). We like to be active on our holidays, so it suited us to be on the go all the time. However if you want a relaxing holiday, maybe you should choose just two or three islands...

I totally agree with Honu_Ohana re-sampling them all and then returning to your favourite island/s in the future. We said that our holiday to Hawaii 18 months ago would be a "once in a lifetime" trip.... BUT we've booked to go again this year (this time to our three favourite islands)!

U2fan