We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! New to flying - what to pack in carry-on?

Minnesota
Level Contributor
215 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Help! New to flying - what to pack in carry-on?

We're leaving tomorrow for our trip to Hawaii, what should we be sure to pack in our carry-ons? Thanks for any help, we're newbie flyers!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,970 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! New to flying - what to pack in carry-on?

Put anything valuable and all medications in your carry-on. Remember the rules about no liquids or gels unless you buy new travel size(3oz) bottles and put them in a clear plastic bag. My husband and I actually pack EVERYTHING in our carry on but that is not necessary.

Lagrangeville, NY
Level Contributor
2,890 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! New to flying - what to pack in carry-on?

Go to the TSA website, it tells you what are the prohibited items to carry-on. The clear plastic bag has to be quart size and things cannot be overflowing in it. All details can be found on the TSA website.

It's a long flight so pack some snacks, books/magazines, and a neck pillow which helps if you take a nap. Some people like to bring their own DVDs with player for movies or IPOD for music. I usually bring travel books of the destination so I can read up and figure out what to do when I get there.

Depending on the airline you fly, you might not get a meal so may be a sandwich if you prefer your own to the ones they sell you on the flight.

Have fun in Hawaii.

Edina, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
4,090 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help! New to flying - what to pack in carry-on?

Enjoy your escape from Minnesota. We leave in 10 days. It doesn't matter that we are having a warmer than normal winter. It will still be a whole lot nicer in Hawaii. BTW the TSA web site is tsa.gov.

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma, Grove
Level Contributor
5,066 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help! New to flying - what to pack in carry-on?

I always pack a swimsuit, a complete change of clothes, all meds, lotions, sunscreen, and anything else you would want in case your luggage gets lost or delayed. This has happened to us before and we were able to carry on as though nothing happened and enjoy beginning our vacation. I also pack a small, collapsible ice chest with veggies, meats or sandwiches, fruit, lots of bottled water (you now have to purchase water at the airport), trail mix, etc. I repack it with the same for the trip home. We take a squishy neck pillow, DVD player with noise cancelling headphones, movies, a book, and our cameras. We each have a large backpack, the ice chest, and my traveling, backpack purse for our 4 carry one allowed. We are leaving cold weather and going to warm so we dress in our shorts and shirts then put on a windsuit with socks and slip on tennis shoes. As soon as we arrive at the airport, we take off our windsuits and pack them away.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
5,728 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help! New to flying - what to pack in carry-on?

My husband and I have found that the airline "sandwich" was sooo bad and the flights soo long, that a good snack really made us more comfortable.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
215 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help! New to flying - what to pack in carry-on?

drvalgemae - It has been a nice winter here in Minnesota, although I did miss the white Christmas! But I am still soooo ready for Hawaii!

So basically in my carry-on, I want to pack anything that's not easily replaceable or anything I will use/consume on the plane. Makes sense to me - I've just been in an overwhelmed state with Christmas and Hawaii happening all at once! Thanks for your help!

Concord, CA
Level Contributor
3 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help! New to flying - what to pack in carry-on?

If your going to Hawaii, all you need is a carry-on, and not much in it.

Hawaii is shorts, T-shirts and flip flops (which you can buy cheaply almost anywhere). A Hawaian shirt will get you into anyplace, so leave everything at home except your make up or shaving kit and a few underclothes, buy the rest as souvenirs and wear them there, then bring them home! Can you say ABC store?...translation, About every corner...

Seattle
Level Contributor
44,938 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help! New to flying - what to pack in carry-on?

I will assume you are checking a suitcase that holds your clothes and toiletries.

In the carry-on: passport/ID, money, prescription meds and glasses/sunglasses, and rolled up in the bottom I always pack a pair of flip-flops, bathing suit, shorts, and tank top just in case there is a luggage delay, so I will still be able to start enjoying the weather immediately.

Also included, things to use during the plane ride: I take a paperback book or magazines, maybe a couple granola bars or nuts and dried fruit. If you have your own headphones is a nice but not necessary item.

London, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help! New to flying - what to pack in carry-on?

If you are doing an interisland connection after landing in honolulu, definitely include a bathing suit, cover up and sunscreen in addition to the other suggestions. Those flights are notorious for leaving luggage behind for the next flight as the planes get too heavy (especially during the winter months!!)

10. Re: Help! New to flying - what to pack in carry-on?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:18 pm, August 21, 2009