We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruise the islands or fly in and island hop ???

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
21 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Cruise the islands or fly in and island hop ???

We are already researching a 2008 visit to Hawaii for our 30th anniversary which will be our first visit to the islands. Our options seem to be: cruise roundtrip from California , fly in and cruise the islands(we have read some negative reviews on this), and fly in and try to island hop(which we know little about).The cruise stops 1 day each@ Oahu,Maui,Kauai.Hilo &Kona.This seems like a good all around sampling ,but wondering if flying in would be better to allow more time at certain stops.Help appreciated.Thanks from Texas.

Oregon
Level Contributor
4,366 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Cruise the islands or fly in and island hop ???

I would agree with coalminer on several points. I wouldn't do the cruise of the islands unless you really enjoy the cruise experience. When we are in Maui, we like to spend time in Lahaina and we always manage to start a conversation with someone from the cruise ships. Usually it is a wife whose husband decided to go on a fishing trip or golf and she is without a car, carrying large shopping bags up and down Front Street. Unless you rent a car or sign up for an expensive excursion, you won't be able to see or do much. I would choose island hopping and pick two islands. You'll want to stay on one island for at least 4 days. Flying will eat up a day. You'll get more savings by staying a week at each location. Some places offer a free night and car rentals may be cheaper. I would stay on Oahu for the Pearl Harbor visit and also some of the "off the beaten path" hikes up north. Kauai has the ultimate golf courses and so many wonderful hikes in Kokee State Park and Waimea Canyon. Kauai is less populated, more rural and has more accessable beauty per square mile. Maui would be my next choice but save that for you next Hawaii vacation. You will want to come back.

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
21 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Cruise the islands or fly in and island hop ???

Thanks,Julauf.Very helpful.Thanks to everyone we will be deciding soon.

13. Re: Cruise the islands or fly in and island hop ???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:19 pm, August 19, 2009