We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hawaii itinerary?

Westmont, New Jersey
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Hawaii itinerary?

Need some help planning a Hawaii trip. My wife and I (in our active 60s) will be arriving from PHL at 8:54 PM on July 1st and leaving July 16 at 8:55 PM for Anchorage. Both flights are to/from Honolulu.

We were planning on visiting Oahu and Maui. I have the Hawaii Revealed books for both those islands.

We are looking for some suggestions where to stay and possible itineraries on a conservative budget. We would like to get in Pearl Harbor and the Road to Hana but don’t have to stay in the larger cities. We enjoy “off the beaten path” ideas. In Europe we like B&Bs, Pensions and lower budget hotels.

Any suggestions on places inside or outside the cities that won’t cost an arm and a leg? Do we need a car for the whole time or should I just get it for a few days on each island?

Near Honolulu we were looking at staying at the “Breakers” but the books give so many choices we are becoming overwhelmed.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sincerely,

Craig Morgan

Mentioned in this post
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma, Grove
Level Contributor
5,189 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hawaii itinerary?

Welcome to the Hawaii forums! Once you answer a few questions here and get yourself started, you'll want to post your questions in the Oahu and Maui forums where some dedicated and very knowledgable Destination Experts and regular travelers to those amazing islands will help you with specifics. How many nights are you staying on each island? What is your budget per night for accommodations? Specific things you are wanting to do and see on each island?

Edited: 11:22 am, February 10, 2014
Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Westmont, New Jersey
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hawaii itinerary?

Our number of nights is flexible. I was waiting for some suggestions before deciding. We are looking for inexpensive accommodations and suggestions for things to see and do.

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma, Grove
Level Contributor
5,189 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hawaii itinerary?

My hubby and I are in our 60s and active as well. We really enjoy visiting all the major islands, but spend more time on the Big Island and Oahu because we are avid snorkelers and divers (Big Island is best for that) and we are drawn the historical and cultural places to visit on Oahu, as well as some entertainment venues that are must dos for us. What do you enjoy doing or have dreamed about seeing in Hawaii? What is your basic, per night budget for accommodations? Answer those two questions and you'll be on your way to planning the most amazing vacation ever.

Edited: 12:14 pm, February 10, 2014
Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
43,154 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hawaii itinerary?

If budget is a concern, staying a full week on at least one island is advisable, as often you get a deal on both car rentals and lodgings for a full week.

What is your nightly lodging budget? There are a few B&B's on the islands, but not many. Inexpensive condos are often the best way to go, though I am more familiar with the best deals on Kauai. :)

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
46,022 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hawaii itinerary?

Hi, Craig!

Please understand that Hawaii and Europe are not the same. Nor is Hawaii like Mexico or the Caribbean. Kinda keep that in mind.

Looks like 15 nights. Great!

Splitting your time between Oahu and Maui is not only a good idea ... but that duo of Islands is common for first-timers.

For hotel/resort ideas, it would be best to post on those Island Forums (Maui Forum and Oahu Forum). When you do, include your nightly accomodations budget. Sorry, "conservative" or "arm and leg" don't help us much. If you scroll down the Maui and Oahu Forums, you will see that there are many ongoing threads about accomodations. A wealth of information already exists.

There is only one "large" city - Honolulu on Oahu.

Rough out an itinerary for each Island and post it on the respective Forum. We can comment and help you fill in the blanks.

You will need a car for the full time on Maui. On Oahu, you can use public transportation or walk when staying in Honolulu. Outside of Honolulu - you will need a car.

The Breakers is an OLD hotel in an excellent location. Some people like it for it's nostalgic value.

Understand that you are traveling during PEAK high season. You would get more bang-for- your-buck by waiting until after Labor Day.

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
Westmont, New Jersey
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hawaii itinerary?

I guess we are looking to spend less that $150 per night for lodging. We like to kayak, see nature highlights, go on the beach a little and spend time relaxing. Seeing a luau would be on our must do list.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
28,094 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hawaii itinerary?

Split your time 1/2 on each island.

Go to the Oahu forum.

On the Oahu forum, read all of the Top Questions on the right. Driving tours, websites, maps, etc.

On the Oahu forum, use the search: trip report

Read 15-20 trip reports

Go to the Maui forum & do the same.

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Chicagoland
Level Contributor
22,123 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Hawaii itinerary?

Casual Hawaii is ideal for 'home away from home' in a condo. (Best buy for a stay of a week or more.) You might use a hotel for a few nights in Honolulu, but I'd look for a condo anywhere else. Yes, you need a rental car everywhere outside of Honolulu. Few condos charge for parking or have 'resort fees'.

I'd go to only one other island. You'll need flights on Hawaiian Airlines. The cost is about half a day 'in transit' and about $100 pp one way. If you are departing your 'other island' the same day you fly to Anchorage, put your HA flight on the same ticket. That way you can check your luggage through to Anchorage when you depart 'other island' and just sit in HNL security for two hours until the longer flight departs. If the flights are not on the same ticket, you would have to claim and re-check luggage, then go back through security.

If you are game for it, you might just push through and go on to your 'other island' on arrival. Same procedure. HA flight must be on your PHL-HNL ticket. (We do this routinely, coming from Chicago. I'm trying to save you luggage hassles -- and the boring drives into and out of Honolulu to the airport.)

Day One in Hawaii will be a bit of a blur. You'll wake early and be tired early. By Day Two your body will start to adjust to the time change. Don't plan a lot at first.

Only you can choose your 'other island'. Just know you'd need a minimum of a week for Big Island if you want to see both sides; more would be better. Kauai is small; *requires* less time, but is so gorgeous you'd want to stay longer. Maui has a good mix of natural beauty and man-made things. (It also has a wide variety of restaurants and lodging options.)

B&B's do not serve hot meals -- at least not on Maui. I fail to see the advantage of one over a condo.

Mentioned in this post
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma, Grove
Level Contributor
5,189 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hawaii itinerary?

There's plenty of fun things to see on both Oahu and Maui. Take Dusty's advice and post on both forums for help on budget accommodations. If you like B&Bs, I'd bet you would enjoy an oceanfront condo on both islands. There are a couple of great options on Oahu, my favorite is using VRBO.com to get a studio at Waikiki Shores and several on Maui, including my favorite studios in Kihei, Punahoa Beach Condominiums..both within your budget. Have fun planning.

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
43,154 posts