We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

All Inclusive Resorts?

Ireland
11 posts
Save Topic
All Inclusive Resorts?

Hi guys,

My Fiance and I are considering Hawaii for our honeymoon. Are there all-inclusive hotels/resorts on any of the islands? We are looking for value for money and want the ease of going all-inclusive.

~livEwirE~

Hawaii
Level Contributor
40,867 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: All Inclusive Resorts?

Probably (Kona Village Resort is one), but the idea of full board isn't the way things usually work in the States. More likely instead of saving, you are paying a premium for the "convenience."

You will be stuck with a few restaurants to choose from, that may not be good. As soon as you arrive if not before you will read about this and that restaurant or bar that sounds fabulous but you cannot try it because you paid for the not-that-fantastic and overpriced food at your hotel.

Plus you will get bored with the same restaurant and view, AND you may not even like your hotel's eating options. You won't know until you arrive if it's really good.

The only time I'd want all-inclusive is staying somewhere that's remote from other resorts, sort of a retreat from the world like Kona Village Resort, and then only if I didn't plan to make excursions.

To sum up, I doubt you would get value for money that way ... and it is not hard at all to find other food options. Plus, some of the fun of Hawaii is trying local or ethnic food not served at the resorts.

To get value on meals, I would recommend ordering wisely and staying away from hotel/resort restaurants, which have extremely inflated prices, for at least some of your meals. Also, if you enjoy alcohol, try not to order it all by the drink at a bar or restaurant, rather buy your own and self cater some of your drinks. You can save a lot that way. Pick up a bottle of wine at the store to enjoy in your room, rather than ordering a bottle through room service, for example.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
22,764 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: All Inclusive Resorts?

Hawaii isn't like some foreign resorts, where you go to one *tourist* area while the native poor are held back by chain link fencing (except for those working for minimal wages within the resorts).

Hawaii is one of the United States. There is near-zero unemployment. There are good roads, water, public sanitation, medical facilities. There is no need to hole up in a compound.

Most visitors to any Hawaiin island rent a car at the airport and drive around the island to see the sights, sample restaurants and beaches. If they are staying more than a week, they may hop to a second island and see that one, too.

When would you be visiting? How long would you stay? What are you interested in seeing/doing in Hawaii? Which island(s) interest you? As for "value", the exchange rate would seem to be very much in your favor!

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,875 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: All Inclusive Resorts?

If you are looking for all inclusive, Hawaii is probably not the place. As has been said before on this forum, often when you go to the Caribbean, the resort is the destination.

In the case of Hawaii, the state itself is the destination. There is so much to see and do.

If you want to spend all of your time at a resort, go somewhere in the Caribbean or Mexico where you can get a "good deal" on an all-inclusive stay.

If you are interested in exploring the area, Hawaii is an awesome place to be.

Just depends on what you want to do....

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
22,764 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: All Inclusive Resorts?

Your travel agent would probably be happy to book you on a cruise of the islands. Easy to ticket. Some people have loved them. Some have not. Read up on the cruise reports here on TripAdvisor.

I would prefer staying put on one or two islands, especially for a honeymoon.

New Jersey
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: All Inclusive Resorts?

Did you ever go? where did you stay? We are going for our honeymoon next year.

6. Re: All Inclusive Resorts?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 pm, August 15, 2009