We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time of year to visit Hawaii?

Jkh
Washington DC
Level Contributor
375 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Best time of year to visit Hawaii?

Is there one particular time of year when we can avoid the crowds, have good weather and get good prices? Or is this asking too much?

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
26,741 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time of year to visit Hawaii?

It depends on what island. They all have their own microclimates and busy seasons. The BI is the quietest of the main islands all year except over Ironman (mid October). The Kohala Coast on the BI has great sunny weather year round but ocean conditions are best in summer and early fall.

Early to mid-May is generally very nice and quiet everywhere. I also like late September but it can be very hot, especially on the BI.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time of year to visit Hawaii?

"Good," "crowds" ... relative terms. But I can tell you to avoid summer, the week of Thanksgiving, the week before and after Christmas and the week before and after Easter.

Lowest season - September after Labor Day through mid-November, then after Thanksgiving until the week before Christmas. January through March is popular for those fleeing winter - but it isn't as impacted as the holiday periods and summer. Late April through early May is great.

The Islands are strung from north to south, so winter does have an impact on some shores. There are a number of micro-climates on the various Islands. But overall - the weather is wonderful.

Your costs will depend on where you want to stay, what you want to do and what you eat, drink and purchase. There is a great deal of latitude.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,972 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best time of year to visit Hawaii?

May is a beautiful time to visit (the earlier in May the better, but definitely avoid Memorial Day weekend), it is somewhat less expensive, and less crowded than summer when kids are out of school (June, July, August).

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,760 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best time of year to visit Hawaii?

OUR 'best time' is when we have rotten weather at home -- January through March. That's also one of the more expensive times to visit since other snowbirds have the same idea, and it is Whale Season in Hawaii.

Any time mainland schools are on holiday is expensive, even if the weather isn't the best. Christmas is sky-high. (You can get much the same likely-rainy weather in the weeks before Christmas, at rock-bottom prices.)

I'd recommend mid-April through the first week in June for good weather almost everywhere, few kids, and good pricing. September is too hot for me on Big Island (especially if the volcano is contributing vog), but a nice time to stay north on Kauai and Oahu.

"Crowds" would be Waikiki, and to a lesser extent, Lahaina/Kaanapali on Maui. Big Island and Kauai are less-developed than Oahu and Maui. Lanai is very quiet, with only one small hotel and the Four Seasons complex. Molokai? You'll be hoping to see another person on the beach!

Most and best flights will take you nonstop from Dulles/JFK/Newark into HNL. We look for widebody aircraft on long legs and avoid west coast connections (and the 757's). Hawaiian Airlines is the best interisland. We can fly into Honolulu and hop to Maui without leaving airport security if the flights are on a single ticket.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
362 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best time of year to visit Hawaii?

Anytime you're feeling good and healthy and want to get away.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,564 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best time of year to visit Hawaii?

I haven't been yet, but heard May is an excellent time . . . I think fall would also be good. I know those times are also when I see sales on for Hawaii. :)

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,694 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best time of year to visit Hawaii?

We have been in May and it has been awesome....we are going to try late September / October this Time....

Edited: 10:38 pm, June 18, 2013
8. Re: Best time of year to visit Hawaii?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 20, 2014