We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jellyfish and Man-of-Wars?

Louisiana
Level Contributor
75 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Jellyfish and Man-of-Wars?

We're traveling to Maui in late October, and I am scared to death of having encounters with stinging sea creatures! This is my first question here, but could someone who lives in Maui, or someone who's been to West Maui before please give me some insight on what to expect? This is the only part of my trip that is causing me stress! Thanks in advance-

Mary

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,168 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Jellyfish and Man-of-Wars?

Portuguese Man-of-wars are not really a problem in Hawaii. Occasionally there are some here but they are rare.

There is also no way of predicting when they arrive as they float & are dependent on currents and winds.

The box jellyfish are mostly on the south shores, though they can be found occasionally on any part of the island. I don't think they are a problem on West Maui.

They arrive 8-10 days after a full moon & stay 2-3 days. October 6 is the full moon. So the box jellyfish will be around October October 14 - 16 & last 2-3 days.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
147 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jellyfish and Man-of-Wars?

You will have lots of warnings from the Hotels, Newspapers, everyone if there is a problem. Man-o-war will come in goups if the the wind and tides bring them so there will be warnings. The jellies are timed with the lunar cycles. I lived my first 18 years in Hawaii and have never been stung. If the jellies or man-o-war are washing ashore make sure your feet are covered - the stingers will still sting if you step on them. - But don't worry - people will let you know if there is a problem.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,224 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jellyfish and Man-of-Wars?

FWIW, I've never seen or heard of box jellies in West or South Maui.

4. Re: Jellyfish and Man-of-Wars?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:23 am, August 13, 2009