We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hawaii Family Trip August 2014

Hereford
Level Contributor
148 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Hawaii Family Trip August 2014

Hi There

I'm planning a major family trip for August 2014 and was thinking that a multi-island trip to Hawaii would really fit the bill

We are very much an outdoor family and are keen to see the totally different scenery, wildlife and culture of the islands. We love the water so any opportunity for snorkelling, surfing, swimming would be great. We also love walking and exploring and would be really keen to see the dramatic scenery and mountains and of course the volcanic sights. My son is also a very keen astronomer so the observatory on the Big Island is high on his list to see

I'm still in the early research stages but I'd appreciate any feedback around a sample itinerary for a 3-4 week trip such as a week each on 3 islands to pick up some of the must-do sights and activities for our family. I'd also appreciate any guidance around the practicalities or the flight transfers between the islands

I can the dig into the forums specific to the islands themselves and the places to visit to get the detail

Hope you can help

Cheers

Andy

Adventure Tours Hawaii Day Tours
Scuba & Snorkeling, Private Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Oceanus Divers
Scuba & Snorkeling, Shark Diving, Swim with Dolphins, Boat Tours
Dolphin Star (Hoku Nai'a)
Boat Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Scuba & Snorkeling
Divemad
Scuba & Snorkeling
Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
13,577 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hawaii Family Trip August 2014

I would start by reading the summary of each island on the top right of this page under top questions. That will help you narrow down what islands to see. It is often suggested a week at least on each island. You will have time to see quite a bit, but just know that you won't see it all...I have spent weeks on just one island and still have many things to still see. There are top questions on each island and that will help you know more what is on each island. Once you know which islands, you can post questions on each island's forum and get more specific answers. Already sounds like you know you want to do the Big Island.

You will be able to transfer islands through interisland flights, just know it takes a while like regular flights because you still have to do the security etc. even for a hour flight to a different island.

Happy planning!

Hereford
Level Contributor
148 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hawaii Family Trip August 2014

Thanks TB4, I keep forgetting the top questions bit. As always there is always more to do than time to it. A week on each of 3 islands sounds like a good starting point

Indy
Level Contributor
1,437 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hawaii Family Trip August 2014

Some itineraries to give you a feel for the islands.

Frommers has good itineraries ....

Maui

frommers.com/destinations/…0015020794.html

they have these for each island. and then on the left you can select 'romance, families, two weeks, adventure' to get more ideas.

gohawaii itineraries.

here's big island for example.

gohawaii.com/big-island/guidebook/itineraries

hawaiinairlines itineraries.

Here's kauai

hawaiianairlines.com/specialoffers/documents…

some tips I've read:

most people say count your nights not your days. and plan on losing 1/2 day if hopping for travel.

Big island requires more time than the other islands so keep that in mind.

planning is half the fun! enjoy!

trish

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Hereford
Level Contributor
148 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hawaii Family Trip August 2014

Thanks Trish, some reading to do now :)

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
22,145 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hawaii Family Trip August 2014

We like condos for families, and you'll get better rates by staying at least a full week in one. Remember that August will be quite hot, especially on Big Island. This is also a *big* island, where you may want to split a stay between NW (Kohala area) and a few nights SE to see Volcanoes National Park. This is a good time of year to enjoy the northern parts of Kauai, Oahu and Maui -- although it is more convenient to sightsee from Waikiki on Oahu and South Maui on that island. (Your son would enjoy star gazing from atop Haleakala on Maui, too.)

You'll be flying interisland -- each 'hop' will eat about half a day. My DH and I try to arrange flights to and from Hawaii on widebody aircraft (767's or 330's). We avoid 757's and west coast connections. Best interisland flights are on Hawaiian Airlines. They also have some nice widebody aircraft from mainland US cities. It can be an advantage to having everything on a single ticket should there be schedule changes. Your luggage could also be checked through, eliminating need to claim and recheck anywhere.

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Hereford
Level Contributor
148 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hawaii Family Trip August 2014

Thanks ChiSue, appreciate the advice on flights as well

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
43,314 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hawaii Family Trip August 2014

The most difficult part will be your island selection - obviously, the Big Island. I would also want to see Kauai - stay on the northshore in August. Then maybe Oahu, so you can see Pearl Harbor and other historical sites. Good luck! :)

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Hereford
Level Contributor
148 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hawaii Family Trip August 2014

I think the big island would be a definite, usual challenge is to balance doing the good stuff with the travelling. Too easy to try and cram in too much

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
31,117 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hawaii Family Trip August 2014

The BI should get a little more than a week, 8-9 nights is a good minimum to see both sides, then you can spend 5-6 nights on two smaller islands, like Oahu and Kauai ( I agree those three would be a good fit).

I also agree that on the BI, a South Kohala condo is the way to go for most of your stay, and then probably two nights in Volcano. You should plan to fly into one and out the other.

On Kauai I would look at a home rental in Hanalei or Haena.

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Hereford
Level Contributor
148 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hawaii Family Trip August 2014

Thanks for the tips, really appreciate the information, lots of research and planning to :)