We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

flights from east coast ( Boston)

New England
Level Contributor
1,260 posts
179 reviews
Save Topic
flights from east coast ( Boston)

Seems like the more I research the more I get confused. How far in advance do you book flights for you trip to Hawaii? Are there times when it is less expensive to book. I am hoping to go in 2014 in March. ( if we can't afford that might need to go in April)

Any other tips on booking from the east coast will be appreciated.

Do you book flights first or rooms first?

Thanks in advance

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,515 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: flights from east coast ( Boston)

I'd visit in April, given a choice. It's a shoulder season, which means less crowded, cheaper rates and probably better airfares. March is popular because the whales are still here, but the weather is still kind of winterish.

Book your flights first. It's best to be flexible when you're looking for good fares. You shouldn't have any trouble finding accommodations in April. Book your car when you have your dates firm. Except for in Honolulu you need one, and they can, and do, sell out on the neighbor islands. Make a no-obligation reservation, then keep looking for a better deal.

New England
Level Contributor
1,260 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: flights from east coast ( Boston)

Thank you

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,636 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: flights from east coast ( Boston)

newenglander6,

School vacation times are always tough. Also, I strongly advise going for more than 1 week, if you can. It's such a long trip that you need to give yourself time to adjust and enjoy.

We like to book airfare first, since that can be really tricky (we use frequent flier miles, whenever possible). When purchasing tickets, we usually have a target price ($800 or $1000 RT from Boston) and if we find it at or below, we grab it. I've seen prices as low as $600 and as high as...well the ski's the limit on that.

Once we have airfare, book hotels and car, but make sure you can cancel. That way, you can keep checking for better deals on either. If you are doing a condo, it's a little trickier. The condo we book on Maui lets us block off an extra week on either side of our "target" dates. Then, when we have airfare booked, we call up and refine our dates, freeing it up. Rooms their book up a year in advance, so we have to work around that.

New England
Level Contributor
1,260 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: flights from east coast ( Boston)

That is helpful. Thanks. We are hoping to go for 2-3 weeks. NO FF miles for us. Thinking we might do condo on Maui ( near where we would see whales.)

5. Re: flights from east coast ( Boston)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, April 24, 2014