We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maui vs Kuai

MI
6 posts
Save Topic
Maui vs Kuai

Heading to HI for last week of Nov to celebrate my 40th with a group of 8 girlfriends...not sure which island to stay on and have narrowed down to Maui & Kuai. I'm looking for WHITE sand beaches, scuba, volcano treks and scenic hikes, golf, scuba/snorkeling and nightlife ..or at least good bars and not just a bunch of couples...single girls need eye candy after all. (i'm told waikiki/honolulu will be all city and tourists so as new yorkers we should avoid it at all costs)...also any advice on renting a house or villa would be awesome (already combing through homeaway, flipkey and airbnb)

@
Level Contributor
2,001 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Maui vs Kuai

Well, Oahu has more single men !

MI
6 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Maui vs Kuai

overdid playa and cancun in my 20s ...budget for the 7 nights is like 8,000 for the house. HI is the final answer not budging on that one

So it's now down to Maui and Oahu...which neighborhoods would you all recommend on each island -need to narrow down the rental search- ...main focus is proximity to beaches and bars/restaurants and avoiding rain...

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,283 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Maui vs Kuai

Not sure about Oahu - or finding a house rental near Waikiki . . .

On Maui, I would look in the Kaanapali area. :)

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,867 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Maui vs Kuai

Last week in November as in Thanksgiving? Book rental cars on both Oahu and Maui now as you can always cancel them.

Houses in Honolulu might be hard to find but you COULD look on the North Shore although not much night life up there... although it is cute and walkable after a few shots.

On Maui I'd look anywhere in West Maui although for such a large group you might need two condos almost anywhere near a beach. Lahaina is probably where you will end up in the evenings.

I think Waikiki might be the best option with beaches & night life. I like Waikiki for it's own charm. Watch a couple episodes of Hawaii 5-0 before you say no. Look for two condos many owners on VRBO have a more then one to rent or know other owners in their buildings. More work to find two I know.

Why not Mauna Lani or Mauna Kea on the Big Island? Houses and large condo's that might sleep 8. Nice beaches, golf, a couple of nice restaurants, the Beach Club, the volcano (although it is a LONG drive).

15. Re: Maui vs Kuai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, February 23, 2014