We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flights to Maui from Honolulu

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Flights to Maui from Honolulu

Hi I am looking for advice please. We are flying from Sydney Australia to Hawaii on 13/8/13 . We are scheduled to arrive at Honolulu airport at 7.45am and would like to fly to Maui that morning. Can anyone please advise me how long I should leave between flights. We have never been to Hawaii before and not sure how long it will take to get through customs etc and then get to the domestic flight terminal. Should I book now or is it practical to book a flight when we get there so that I do not have to worry about delays etc. Thank you in advance.

Pluto Highlands
Level Contributor
168 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Flights to Maui from Honolulu

i would leave 3 hours open. never know what can happen with international routes. the immigration is right next to the inter island airline gates.

when I book I give 2 hours but use Hawaiian most of the time so if I miss its their fault and they will find me another flight. Sydney to HNL should offer this on Hawaiian with a slightly lower fare for the interisland combining the flights same day.

my flights comes in around 8 am weekdays and find the immigration line empty or nothing more then 20 minutes.

edit - I too go on to Maui after immigration.

Edited: 4:18 am, January 31, 2013
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flights to Maui from Honolulu

Thankyou for your advice. We are flying an Australian Airline Jetstar to Honolulu so will need to book with Hawaiin Air. Do you think we should do this now in advance and purchase the Coach/Standby fare ?

Pluto Highlands
Level Contributor
168 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Flights to Maui from Honolulu

haha hate to give advice on something that could ruin your holiday. honestly you have enough time with 3 hours with much to spare. I would go ahead and book now. Ive never done the Coach/Stanby fare just rolled the dice and get lucky. if affordable get it, better yet get it and not worry till your ready to leave Hawaii and get back to work. prices go up days closer to departure and when the plane starts filling up.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flights to Maui from Honolulu

Thanks again much appreciated

Lake Macquarie...
Level Contributor
3,707 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flights to Maui from Honolulu

Murray, We've had mixed results in Jetstar keeping deadlines, but all Airlines can have delays. I'll tell you a short tale and I hope it will assist your decision making about the Maui hop.

In 2010, we were at Sydney airport about 2.30am for a 6pm departure. Thought we'd drop the bags off at book-in at 3pm, relax and grab a nice meal before boarding as we don't book in-flight meals anymore.

Well here we were with a couple of hundred others in the line about 3.15. Nothing happening. 3.30 same. Having problems with the computer link with USA immigration. Can't book anyone until it's solved. We sat on our bags (well, I did) until we finally booked in around 6pm and the plane left at 8pm. 2 hours behind schedule. Great…

I'd allowed 3 hours between our arrival time in Honolulu and our departure for Maui. I spent a stressful 10 hours stressing about missing the Island hop. Not the way to start a Hawaiian holiday. In the morning, the pilot announced that we were 30mins out of Honolulu. He apologised for the delay and revealed that he'd made the decision to burn some extra fuel, wiping an hour off the regular flight time. Great stuff, I thought!

That gave us 2 hours between arrival and departure in Honolulu. We cleared customs quickly, with the assistance of some helpful staff and we ended up booking in 1.25 hrs before loading. Whew!

last year, we allowed around 2 hours between flights. I think the booking was for about 9pm. For our Maui hop, we booked Coach Plus". These fares give you the option to change the flight time without penalty and for the $19pp, it was great value for the peace of mind. The tickets also offer an earlier flight, if seats are available. None were on the day, but we were happy to have a stretch and walk around between flights. "Coach plus" fares aren't really needed on the way back to Honolulu from Maui, as the only vriable will be you, not an international flight.

When to book? Well, we were travelling with 11 others and I gave all of them our dates and times we'd be travelling. I left it to them to book their own tickets. We booked about 10 months out to get all the airfares out of the way. Wen some of the others booked at about 4 months out, the plane was almost full and the fares had risen by about $30 each from what we paid. You'll also see that the fares change in relation to the time of day.

Oh, regarding flights from Australia, one of the couples that were joining us a couple of days later were flying Hawaiian. They hired a car, drove to Sydney, waited until check-in time and then were told the flight was cancelled. They had to stay in Sydney overnight and fly the next day. Hawaiian rebooked their Maui hop for them. Happens to all airlines.

Hope this dribble of mine assists you. If you need more help, give us a yodel. We've been to Maui four times and six to Oahu. Returning for our seventh this year in July. How'd you go with the fares, did you grab some of those Aust Day sale specials?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flights to Maui from Honolulu

Great advice and have taken all on board thankyou. Have allowed 3 hours between flights and booked coach/standby flight to Maui that way if we arrive on time can ask for an earlier flight if available ...also as you say worth the peace of mind..... Cheers

P.S. Yes got great Aussie day fares !

Edited: 10:22 pm, January 31, 2013
7. Re: Flights to Maui from Honolulu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, February 02, 2014