We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best spot in Hawaii for a honeymoon

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
387 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Best spot in Hawaii for a honeymoon

I know this is a VERY general question with a lot of answers but I thought I'd ask anyway.

My fiance and I are considering going to Hawaii for our honeymoon next year in August.

What is the weather like?

We're trying to avoid crowds (read: children) and go to a moderately priced hotel that doesn't have a ton of children's activities and cheezy entertainment. We want a sophisticated honeymoon with a lot of peace, quiet, and a great beach.

What islands are good to visit and which should we skip? We are thinking we'd see at least two over a two week or twelve day span.

Any and all suggestions would be helpful. We're thinking of going through a travel agent but have yet to find one.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
43,154 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best spot in Hawaii for a honeymoon

What is your budget? What activities do you enjoy the most? How important is shopping and fine dining? Each island is different, so it really depends on what you are looking for. Summer is a great time for Hawaii, but there will be more kids because of summer vacation - just depends where you pick to stay - some of the resorts with pools will have lots of kids - but you could also rent a cottage on a quiet beach . . . If you have 2 weeks, I would think about doing a week on Maui and then a week on Kauai, but again, it depends on the other things asked. Happy planning! :)

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
387 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best spot in Hawaii for a honeymoon

We're looking at $200 a night or less, I know that isn't a lot for a super luxurious visit but we'll have to compromise as best as we can.

Any suggestions for both Maui and Kauai?

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Chicagoland
Level Contributor
22,123 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best spot in Hawaii for a honeymoon

You'd find fewer families and lower rates if you waited until September. The weather differential isn't that great between August and September; both are hot, but the Trades will keep you cool. (That's not to say you don't want A/C wherever you stay!)

Any of the islands will make a lovely honeymoon destination, and as long as you have at least 10 nights, you have time to stay on two -- but you could be happy on just one too! (My DH and I have never spent less than two weeks on trips to each of the four major islands.)

Your $200/night is going to be the qualifier here. There are many hotels in Hawaii in that range, but you might consider a condo instead or a condo plus a big finale at a top hotel for a few nights. I'd rather have a spacious resort condo with ocean view than one hotel room overlooking the parking lot -- and a lot of extra charges and tips.

Maui and Kauai are the top two honeymoon destinations, but don't leave Oahu out of the equation. (I would exclude the very big Big Island if you want 'typically tropical.)

Think about how you'll fly to and from the islands too. Usually your best flights (nonstops on widebody aircraft) are into HNL.

Edited: 6:24 pm, May 23, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
43,154 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best spot in Hawaii for a honeymoon

Well, I was hoping you would give a few more details besides $$ - really, something can be found for just about any budget . . . but what you want to do will really determine the best island. For example, if you want nightlife, Kauai is out - you would need to look at Oahu or possibly Maui.

If you do go to Kauai, plan to stay on the northshore during the summer months.

Also, once you pick your island(s), then go to the specific forum here on TA for the best advice! :)

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
387 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best spot in Hawaii for a honeymoon

I think what we want is peace and quiet, really beautiful beaches, a few less families than usual, and watersports. We're not looking for a big city atmosphere. (Sorry, I didn't mean to totally ignore this question!)

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
43,154 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best spot in Hawaii for a honeymoon

www.gohawaii.com has great photos of each island - you might want to check that out as well. An often recommended book on the forum is Hawaii for Dummies. I do think Kauai and Maui would work well. :)

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Chicagoland
Level Contributor
22,123 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best spot in Hawaii for a honeymoon

On Maui -- I'd look at condos in Kapalua and Napili in West Maui; Wailea and South Kihei in South Maui. Hanalei in North Kauai. Turtle Bay, North Shore Oahu.

8. Re: Best spot in Hawaii for a honeymoon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:15 am, June 21, 2013