We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hawaiian Air credit card experiences.

Seattle
Level Contributor
72 posts
Hawaiian Air credit card experiences.

Hi, I live in Seattle and am considering changing my primary credit card from American Airlines to Hawaiian. What has your experience been? Are there ever flights available or has that been frustrating? Do miles post quickly or is there a several-month delay? Anything I need to know?

Thanks for any and all insight.

Joseph, Oregon
Level Contributor
450 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: Hawaiian Air credit card experiences.

Our experience with them over the past few years have been great. As far as I can tell there aren't any blackout dates or anything like that. I have never had a problem getting a flight I wanted for the miles I wanted to "pay."

They have an on-line "mall" where you can access many on-line retailers and earn multiple miles (up to 5 to 1) per dollar for purchases. They occasionally offer triple miles for all purchases to account-holder in good standing (that just happened for us this month).

Their customer service folks are nice and it isn't hard to reach a real person using their phone system. The miles seem to me to accrue quite quickly and I haven't noticed any big delays in posting.

You can also buy extra miles if you are just shy of having enough for a flight and the price seems reasonable to me for that option, but I haven't needed to use it yet.

We have been able to pay 17,500 miles one-way, per person, every time we have used them. I think that is a good deal. At least it works for us.

Right now the flights we want for next Feb/March are still 25,000+/leg, but I can see the downward trend beginning and I'm confident we will be able to pay the 17,500 one-way again for that trip. (We have vouchers from delays last time around to cover the rest of the flight costs. : )

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
23,100 posts
19 reviews
2. Re: Hawaiian Air credit card experiences.

We've had Hawaiian for years and they have been great! We normally use our points for upgrades.

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,315 posts
22 reviews
3. Re: Hawaiian Air credit card experiences.

I like the flexibility of their program. Their pricing (either miles or money) is based on one way fares. If you don't have enough miles for a round trip ticket you can get one way with miles and the other with money.

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,315 posts
22 reviews
4. Re: Hawaiian Air credit card experiences.

OH...I see you fly from Seattle. Have you looked at the Alaska Airlines credit card? Every year you get a certificate for "$99 Companion Fare". You buy one ticket to Hawaii and another person flies for $99. In that scenario you can't use miles for the purchased ticket. You are also building miles, though, so you can use those miles for another trip to Hawaii! I have been able to go twice a year sometimes using Alaska's program.

Folsom, CA
Level Contributor
13 posts
17 reviews
5. Re: Hawaiian Air credit card experiences.

We have had the Alaska Airlines credit card for years and been very happy with it. Customer service is great. You can use the companion fare any dates, any class, round trip, multi city or open jaw... just pay $99 plus the taxes and fees for the second fare. We paid $683 total for our two air fares this October, San Jose, CA to Kona and return Lihue to San Jose. Alaska does not fly between the islands so we had to go with Hawaiian Air for that. We are saving miles for a New Zealand trip after my husband retires, use the companion fare for our round trip to Hawaii and our miles for round trip Hawaii to New Zealand on a partner airline.

Austin, TX
Destination Expert
for Austin
Level Contributor
2,301 posts
174 reviews
6. Re: Hawaiian Air credit card experiences.

You may also want to look at flyertalk.com and that forum. All about the points.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
48,747 posts
19 reviews
7. Re: Hawaiian Air credit card experiences.

I have nothing but great things to say about the Hawaiian Airlines credit card. Easy to accrue and use the miles - even on the website. And I can treat myself to first class from time to time. I like the rental car insurance coverage that is included, and I have always received A+ service when I call them.

I dropped my United Airlines credit card for Hawaiian about 6 years ago. So glad I did.

And you can use Hawaiian Airline miles for interisland flights as well!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
52,716 posts
3 reviews
8. Re: Hawaiian Air credit card experiences.

Isn't it the Bank of Hawaii that issues the Hawaiian Miles? I've never had that card as I don't want to pay a 50.00 yearly fee for the privilege. I do have an Hawaiian Airlines miles card that has come in really handy for me getting ff miles to and from Maui. Plus all the places in town that issue miles while using their establishment.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
48,747 posts
19 reviews
9. Re: Hawaiian Air credit card experiences.

The Hawaiian Airlines cards are BofA. Does that help??

There is an annual fee, but the amount depends on the type of card you have. I think there are three kinds.

Edited: 7:49 pm, August 22, 2011
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
45,050 posts
44 reviews
10. Re: Hawaiian Air credit card experiences.

Gee - I have both an Alaskan airlines credit card and a Hawaiian - take advantage of both. :)