We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Honeymoon island and hotel in Hawaii

New Jersey
2 posts
Save Topic
Best Honeymoon island and hotel in Hawaii

Hey Everyone,

I am planning for my Honeymoon at Hawaii in Nov/Dec.. Can anyone help me out and tell me which is the best island to go and which hotel? I am struggling with it.

I am planning for 1 week.

Your help is really Appreciated. Thank You.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
48,216 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Honeymoon island and hotel in Hawaii

There is no such thing as "best."

You need to familarize yourself with the Islands - and choose one. For first-timers, I recommend Oahu or Maui.

Tell us:

When exactly are you going? How many nights?? No, we are no simply nosey - it makes a difference. Are you traveling over Thanksgiving Week?

Pick up a copy of Hawaii for Dummies (forgive the title) and a good map of the Hawaiian Islands. www.gohawaii.com may be helpful.

IMHO, there are some tried-and-true and "sure thing" great honeymoon resorts on Maui ... so start with the Sheraton Maui or the Hyatt on Ka'anapali Beach (West Maui) or the Four Seasons, the Fairmont or the Marriott Wailea (all in Wailea, South Maui). The Ritz Carlton (Kapalua) is great as well, but the weather will be "iffy" that time of year.

Your night accomodations budget will be a deciding factor ... please share it with us.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
22,764 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Honeymoon island and hotel in Hawaii

Your best flight option will be a non-stop out of Newark into Honolulu on a good aircraft (330). If you have miles, this is the time to use them to upgrade to first class -- long flights out and back.

As winter starts to edge into Hawaii, I'd plan to stay south on any of the islands except Big Island.

Does Waikiki appeal? Perhaps off-Waikiki: Kahala Resort? You'll arrive HNL tired. Hopping to another island will eat some of your time; that's do-able, but perhaps you want the choices only a city has to offer.

Do you JUST want a hotel, or will you want to explore one of the islands?

Four Seasons are among the top hotels in Hawaii. They are on Maui, Big Island and Lanai.

We can help more after you answer BLBL's questions!

Edina, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
4,125 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Honeymoon island and hotel in Hawaii

Here is a link to a brief summary of each island:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28932-c1048/Hawaii:U…

It would help if you told us a little about your interests and likes (as well as budget). Let us know if you have any more specific questions.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
621 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Honeymoon island and hotel in Hawaii

I think Kauai is such a romantic island. It's so lush and green and sensual. It's easy to drive and explore the island's beautiful beaches. Great hikes, kayaking, secret beaches, and the helicopter ride is a must. The St Regis Princeville resort would be a nice spot for a honeymoon. There's not a lot of nightlife in Kauai, though. I guess it depends on what you're looking for.

Edited: 7:47 pm, July 18, 2011
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
48,216 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Honeymoon island and hotel in Hawaii

She's going in December, yogi ...

Edited: 7:51 pm, July 18, 2011
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
44,887 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Honeymoon island and hotel in Hawaii

Ah the best of the best! Well, it really all depends on your and your soon to be spouse . . . do post back with a bit of information for the best help. :)

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
23,096 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Honeymoon island and hotel in Hawaii

Just keep in mind flying across country one week after a wedding, coming from New Jersey...you will sleep for the first for the first few days...honest! Spend more time or delay the honeymoon by a week. Just a note for you!

New Jersey
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Honeymoon island and hotel in Hawaii

First of all Appreciated everyone for your reply.

To answer the question asked by BLBL and others I am going in December and will stay for a week. We are not much interested in water sports but would like to spend much time together in lovely place...Where we can go around and spend some quality time.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
621 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Honeymoon island and hotel in Hawaii

BLBL....yes, I know. The surf can be rough in winter, but it's usually nice around Poipu and many other beaches. We've been in the winter. It's a magical place. The weather in Kauai is more rainy, but it's green for a reason. And...it is their honeymoon...want2know2011, congrats and I hope you find the perfect spot for the two of you.

Corvallis, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,762 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Honeymoon island and hotel in Hawaii

Last year Tripadvisor named the Four Seasons Hualalai on the Big Island the top celebrity honeymoon resort in the world. Apparently if you're not a celebrity you won't like it, just kidding.