We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Big Island or Oahu??? Where should we go?

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
45 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Big Island or Oahu??? Where should we go?

We are looking for an active vacation full of hiking, snorkeling, and seeing the beauty of Hawaii.

We have a choice of staying at either the Hilton Hawaiian Village Beach Resort & Spa in Waikiki or the Hilton Waikoloa Village in Waikoloa.

Please help me!

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,914 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Big Island or Oahu??? Where should we go?

Big Island. Oahu has it's strong points, but Waikiki is basically and urban environment.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
45 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Big Island or Oahu??? Where should we go?

Hi PZP,

Thanks for your responses. You responded to my other post about whether 6 days was long enough.

What are the main attractions on the Big Island? Or is it just overall more rustic?

Thanks again for all your help!

Dave

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
45 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Big Island or Oahu??? Where should we go?

bump bump

laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,324 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Big Island or Oahu??? Where should we go?

OK I will plug oahu, we have been to other islands and prefer oahu. Yes it is partially urban but we enjoy that aspect of it, but there is a reason it is the most populated-

Best weather- waikiki always has good weather

Diamondhead- Best picture postcard in hawaii

East Oahu- Most beautiful area of hawaii

North Shore- Most hawaiian feeling portion of hawaii.

Waikiki- most fun place in hawaii, there is so much to do we are always busy.

Oahu does not have the big splashy resorts the other islands do, but if I want to do that and sit by a pool I can drive 2 hours to palm desert. Oahu is much more culturally and racially divergent, again if I want to be served by blond californian waiters I can go to newport beach.

This is just our opinion, I have found most people disagree. From our experience the islands are different and each has something to offer.

Keno, OR
Level Contributor
412 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Big Island or Oahu??? Where should we go?

Not having been to Oahu (except in the airport, which does have fantastic views!)I am going to put in a plug for the Big Island (we also love Kauai). The Big Island has many different microclimates, very different vegetation and beaches, and a wide variety of activities available, without big city hassles or too much traffic (except for heavy commuter times near Kona). We love the multiple spots for wonderful snorkeling all over the Big Island, kayaked across Kealakeua Bay, did a night snorkel to see manta rays, truly enjoyed hiking around the volcano and around the many waterfalls on the east side, and thought the northern end of the island was exquisite sightseeing. I know we'll go to Oahu someday, and will enjoy it, but for first time visitors to Hawaii I have found that friends and acquaintances are not thrilled with their visits to that island, at least not as happy as we have been on our trips to Kauai and the Big Island. If you prefer large cities, don't mind crowds and traffic, Oaha might be more comfortable for you, but we don't prefer those things, so have chosen not to visit there yet...Have fun planning your trip!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
779 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Big Island or Oahu??? Where should we go?

Hello! I think you and your family will love the Big Island and the Hilton Waikoloa. I went there a few years ago and fell in love with it. The Big Island has a lot of hiking/biking adventures, and the best snorkeling of all the islands (you HAVE to book a raft tour/snorkel of Captain Cook's memorial and lava tubes. Too cool. We went through SeaQuest). At the HWV, you and your family can swim with dolphins through Dolphin Quest. PRicey, YES. Priceless, certaintly for our family. I want to say the Kona Surf Hotel and Mauna Kea both have lights on the ocean at night where the Manta Rays eat, so you can see these large creatures as you have a cocktail--something you won't soon forget. :) Trust me, you will feel like you are in "Hawaii" on the Big Island!!! HAVE FUN!