We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 day Itinerary Suggestions! Please

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
18 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
10 day Itinerary Suggestions! Please

Hello,

We will be flying into Honolulu airport on Monday September 7th at 5:30 PM. We have not booked any other island hopper flights, but would like to hop to the Big Island for a day (to see the volanoes), Maui for 3 or 4 days, Kuaui for 3 or 4 days and only stay in oahu for one day. Is this feasible?

If it is, please give suggestions. We are 30 years old and fairly active. I've never kayaked, but would like to give a try. Would also like to bike down the Hakelea crater, but I haven't ridden a bike since I was 10...is this even worth it.

This is what I was thinking, but not sure if it is a smart trip

9/7 Arrive at HNL at 6 PM - stay around HNL or Waikiki

9/8 - Pearl Harbor - fly out at 5:50 PM to Hilo, Big Island

9/9 - Explore the Volcanoes (please give suggestions here. My husband wants to see lava, but not willing to hike any more than 3 miles each way)

9/10 - Fly to Maui in the early AM (or night before if more feasible) do road to Hana. Stay near hana overnight.

9/11 - Drive back from Road to Hana. Find a hotel near beach that is not a horrible drive to Hakalea Crater

9/12 - Sunrise at crater

9/13 - Fly to Kuaui in the early AM - Take a tour of the Napili Coast either by hiking or kayak or boat (suggestions?

9/14 - go on some tubing thing my husband wans to go on and go see waimea canyon

9/15 - go to a luau

9/16 Fly to HNL Stay there the day

9/17 Fly out at 10 PM

Please help!!!

Also, if you have any suggestions for ocean view places that are not any more than $150 a night that are clean, we'd appreciate it. We know that we're staying at the Aston Aloha Beach Resort in Kuaui

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
451 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 day Itinerary Suggestions! Please

If it were me I'd do 2 islands in 10 days. You'll have alot of airport, car rental, hotel check-in stuff with your current plan. Do the other islands on another trip. Start with

BI and either Maui or Kauai.

Pahoa. HI
Level Contributor
1,298 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 day Itinerary Suggestions! Please

Wow, that IS ambitious! Not what I would recommend, but if you want a trip full of intensity and nonstop action, go for it! Below is a copy & paste of a suggestion I posted a few days ago re the volcano here on the Big Island, and Hawaii Volcanoes National Park:

fly into (and out of) Hilo. Have a rental car reserved in advance. I would also suggest you find overnight accomodations in Hilo itself. After you arrive, you can do a quick tour of downtown Hilo. Buy something to eat and drink later in the day. Then head up to Hawaii Volcanoes National Park off Highway 11. About half an hour, or just a bit more. Your first stop should be the visitor's center - less than a quarter of a mile on your right after you enter. Check out the maps (and you will also get one as you enter the park). Drive to the Kilauea Iki outlook. One of the best hikes is the Kilauea Iki hike. About 4 miles long. It will take you down into the Kilauea Iki crater. Can easily be done in an hour and a half to two hours. Lots of different environments. After that, the Thurston Lava Tube (you could also do that as part of the hike - check out the map). Then you have to go back to where you came from because part of the road around the main caldera is closed. Go past the Visitor Center to the Jaggar Museum. Great view, and the museum is very interesting as well. Last stop: Volcano House. If you bring your own food & drink, you can sit outside (on the caldera side) and enjoy the view. You can also buy food and drink there, but in my opinion you're better off bringing your own...

After that, head back on Highway 11, and make a right onto Highway 130 right after Keaau. That's about 20 miles after leaving the park. Drive on Hwy 130 until it ENDS. At that point, you can continue over a somewhat rough unpaved road (but rental cars are OK) for a couple of miles. Park your car and hike out for 15 minutes or so, and you can see where the lavaflow enters the ocean. There's a large steamcloud, and if you get there just before sunset (around 7 p.m. right now) and stay until it gets dark it's even more spectacular. If so, you do need a flashlight for the return hike to the car (over the lava). They open this area for incoming traffic at 5 p.m. every day. If you get there before, head down to Kalapana Village Cafe (that's a lefthand turn a mile before the road ends - you'll find it, no problems! And then when that road ends after a quarter of a mile, make a right turn. You can then hike out over the lava flow to the ocean, and once you get there, make a right turn and walk a short distance and there's a brand new blacksand beach. I was just down there myself a week ago.

End of copy & paste. I should add that these people were planning a morning arrival here. Since you would be arriving in the evening, some of the above obviously doesn't apply. You are not going to see any active lava flows up close. The lava entry into the ocean at Kalapana is about half a mile away from tie viewing area.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
52,217 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 day Itinerary Suggestions! Please

As far as the bike trip on Haleakala, you don't bike the crater, you bike down the road you drove up on. If you are not an experienced biker you will not like doing this!! You might want to find a place to stay in Paia, which will be the closest place to stay for your sunrise trip up the mountain. Otherwise stay in south Maui such as Kihei, Wailea or Makena.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
22,764 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 10 day Itinerary Suggestions! Please

Honestly? This is way too much for 10 days. You'll spend half your time in transit -- well, it will *feel* like it! You will also NOT see much of any island and you WILL spend a bundle on all these hops.

If you must see four islands, change your travel dates and take the NCL 7-day cruise. (Departs Honolulu Saturday evening.) It's not luxurious, but it's also not expensive. You will not pack and unpack. You can see whatever lava is flowing into the ocean from the best place possible -- the ocean. Take the ship's tours or rent a car on some islands and have a DIY tour. Fly in and out of Honolulu. Spend you last nights there.

Otherwise, spend time on TWO islands, especially if one of them is the very large Big Island. Oahu is a lot more than just Honolulu/Waikiki/Pearl Harbor. Rent a car and tour the east and north shores.

IMO Kauai is the only island I'd book for a daytrip -- because it's so small, and the bulk of it is inaccessible, being so vertical. However, if you are staying there, you don't need to do Road to Hana. Biking down Halakala is 'something to do' if you're on Maui for awhile and looking for...something to do. If that's all that's on your wish list for Maui, skip Maui.

I also think it's a waste of time and money to go to Big Island *just* to see the volcano. If you must see it, take the helicopter tour. No fun walking around in the hot sun on bare, dusty lava at the volcano. The only molten lava you're going to see is in the film at the ranger station. (I'm speaking as a non-geology major who has been there twice.) B.I. has so much more to offer; it's worth more than a week to tour all its eco-systems, but...it's not most tourists' idea of 'typically tropical', and that's what most people are looking for on their first trip to Hawaii.

I'd go with Oahu + *either* Kauai or Maui.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
48,216 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 10 day Itinerary Suggestions! Please

Bad, bad, bad idea. You'll be spending way too much of your vacation in the airport, going through security, checking in and out of hotels, renting cars, packing/unpacking - you get my drift. You'll never relax and get to know your way around. All this island-hopping is going to cost you $$$ in flights. Hit and run is not a good way to see Hawaii.

Pick two islands and split your stay in half. In September - any island will be great. It's a tough choice. For first-timers, Maui and Oahu are the best choices, in my opinion ... but any combination is good.

Please rethink your plans.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
29,024 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 10 day Itinerary Suggestions! Please

I looked at one of your old posts. Did you ever make it to Maui in 2007?

10 days, no more than 2 islands. Pick 2 islands & stay on each for 5 nights.

Lots of info:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29222-i37-k647862…

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
18 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 10 day Itinerary Suggestions! Please

Hi! Thanks for the help! Keep it coming. PLEASE! We have only booked the flight to Honolulu. I was thinking that it may be ambitious, but hoping that it wasn't. We were advised against a cruise, but realize now that it probably would have been the best option with my wishes to go to different islands. We think that this is going to be out once in a lifetime trip to Hawaii and won't make it back. We were going to go for our honeymoon in June '07, but ended up going to Mexico instead b/c we wanted to relax after wedding planning.

Anyways. Please keep the suggestions coming. We might skip the BI now, since all we really wanted to do there was to see a volcano. :(

We are coming from Pittsburgh and have two layovers and will arrive in Honolulu around 5:30 on 9/7. It may be in our best interest to just add another flight and go to Maui that same day, since our day is wasted traveling anyways....

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
451 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: 10 day Itinerary Suggestions! Please

I did a 4 island 14 nite trip and just as I was getting the feel of the island I was leaving. I would not do that again. Too much commuting and not enough in any one place, its really rushing thru. Am I correct in assuming you're considering 2 islands, Maui and Kauai? That would be a great 10 day trip.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
18 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 10 day Itinerary Suggestions! Please

Yes. We have to fly into HNL, but do think that Maui and Kuaui are going to be our two islands since everyone has mentioned that we might drive ourselves nuts doing all of that commuting. What two islands would you suggest.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
451 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: 10 day Itinerary Suggestions! Please

Everyone has their favorites, mine are Maui and Kauai although I greatly enjoyed Oahu and BI. Kauai is the Hawaii of peoples imagination imo.

Seriously, 4 islands in 10 days, you just wouldn't get your money's worth with all the traveling you'd be doing.