We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Saturday Night Live's Hawaiian Hotel Sketch

nyc
Level Contributor
76 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Saturday Night Live's Hawaiian Hotel Sketch

Hi! Did you guys see SNL's sketch last night about two disgruntled employees (guest host Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson" and cast member Fred Armisen) who are not in the mood to be entertaining tourists in a restaurant on Kauai? The Rock dances in a "traditional" style while Armisen strums the ukulele, and both of them chat up the vacationing diners... And don't say the nicest things to them.

There are lots of funny parts to it, but I'm still trying to sort out whether or not I liked the skit. On the one hand when I went to the Big Island and Maui for my honeymoon four years ago(I haven't been to Kauai), I found the people I met so kind and welcoming and I think that this skit is unfair to them. But I did notice that many of the locals were living in poverty so maybe this skit calls it like it is?

If you haven't seen the SNL sketch, I have posted it on my blog here (travelogged.com/travelogged/2009/03/snl-mock…). I am curious to hear your thoughts about the SNL sketch.

Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: Saturday Night Live's Hawaiian Hotel Sketch

I thought it was hilarious! I thought Rock was very funny ~ and a pretty darn good dancer!

I agree with KK, it's not about the locals, but about clueless tourists and seriously, wouldn't it be nice sometimes to REALLY speak your mind?

. . . with a smile of course ;)

jc

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,240 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Saturday Night Live's Hawaiian Hotel Sketch

I thought it was hysterically funny. LMOO. (Laughed my okole off.)

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
288 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: Saturday Night Live's Hawaiian Hotel Sketch

OMG, that was so hilarious. At Smith's zodiac in Hanalei (no longer exist), tourists always say they’re on their honeymoon and the older ones (age 40+ was old to me back then) like to ask a million questions. One time after giving the usual safety brief, I asked if there were any questions. This one woman wouldn’t stop talking, proceeded to ask trivial questions about Kauai and the culture itself. I started to get irritated because there were others waiting to have their questions asked. So when she asked the name of a particular plant we drove by, I replied, "That plant is called the ‘side-of-the-roadus’ plant." She shut-up after that.

I replay only to fantasize the Rock do haka (war dance) – oomph!

nyc
Level Contributor
76 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Saturday Night Live's Hawaiian Hotel Sketch

Thanks everyone, I am really enjoying your insights. I am also wishing that I had a trip to Hawaii planned in the near future!

Hana, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,796 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Saturday Night Live's Hawaiian Hotel Sketch

I laugh at everything including this! LOL very much! Especially at funny looking pasty tourist dressed in a skimpy peace of spandex!

But considering Rock and his "lava flow" of money, I find these "strummers of scarasm" hardly believeable.

...Unlike a true voice calling in the wilderness, like Caddy! :)

Northern California...
Level Contributor
1,795 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Saturday Night Live's Hawaiian Hotel Sketch

restaurant + crocs + swimsuit = hahahahahahaha

Hawaii
1 post
Save Reply
17. Re: Saturday Night Live's Hawaiian Hotel Sketch

Oh my god, this was the funniest thing I've probably seen all year. Born and raised on Oahu too. They nailed the stereotypes, local perspective and touristyness.

I have friends who play the waikiki circuit and I watch them go through this crap everyday. The pretty packaged Hawaii. Yeah, I got the sacrcasm. Couldn't stop laughin.

Come on we all laugh at Frank DeLima, no one's offended.

I know people who work as hula dancers in Waikiki than go work the strip clubs afterwards to take care of their kids after getting pregnant in 9th grade. (not saying they're all like that, but the stereotype was flawless)

"It means I dropped out of high school so now I have to dance like a monkey in front of you people." (It was sarcasm dammit.)

There are alot of them on this island disrespecting their own culture by turning "dancing monkey" for the corporate powerhouse that is Waikiki. Its horrible to see. He's not dissing the culture, he's frickin Samoan. He's commenting on the whole "bow down to the tourist industry" thing.

Umm... I also have friends who play music in Waikiki and do live in the back of their trucks. Hah!

Guess the people who are offended by this have never driven to Waianae or Waimanalo. (I live in Ewa Beach)

Yeah, people do get pissed about the Obama/Hawaii thing. I've seen it. And they're all usually as big as the Rock. Hah!

It was sarcasm people. Witty sarcasm. What the hell are you doing watching SNL if you can't take a joke.

And yeah, I've wanted to hurt tourists who do the "hey, I just got lei'd! huhuhuh!" God I almost fell off my chair.

And it is true. Tourism is our biggest income maker here. We've stopped growing food pretty much. Just more and more hotels, golf courses, hotels, golf courses. Of course the city's gonna be pissed. He's telling the truth like it is. Not sugar-coated.

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
4,247 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Saturday Night Live's Hawaiian Hotel Sketch

I loved it! I thought it was hilarious! And the Rock looks gooooooodddd doing the hula! (I didn't know he was Samoan...is he?)

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,594 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Saturday Night Live's Hawaiian Hotel Sketch

I also felt The Rock's fluid movements were more inspired by the Haka than the Hula?

Yes, he's 1/2 Samoan I believe. His father, Rocky "Soulman" Johnson was the big wrestler when I was a kid, along with Freddie Blassie of "pencil neck geek" fame.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,039 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Saturday Night Live's Hawaiian Hotel Sketch

Ligeiro, loved your post and thanks for the eyeopeners ... not living on Oahu I don't know much about the lives of the entertainers there ...

scorchestra, I found Dwayne's bio on IMDB

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0425005/bio

Born in California of Samoan and African-Canadian descent.

Wow, what an interesting heritage.

Yeah, without him making the moves that skit wouldn't have been anything like as good ... it was that rhythm that made it flow ... including that seamless move where he knocked the drinks over without missing a beat.

btw, Ligeiro, for whatever reason he picked Kaua'i as his target, not Waikiki. My guess would be there are more illusions about Kaua'i as a pastoral paradise than with Waikiki.