We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware the "walu" fish

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Beware the "walu" fish

Just wanted to post a note about a delicious fish we purchased at a local grocery and grilled during our last visit to Kauai: the "walu," also know as "escolar." If you look up this fish on Wikipedia, you'll see a section on the interesting "Effects of consumption" which did indeed afflict two members of my family (I escaped the side effects, and no one actually felt bad, it's just that the symptoms can be, well, not very pleasant to behold). The fish is buttery and delicious, but be forewarned!

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,585 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beware the "walu" fish

Since I trust Wikipedia as far as I can throw it here is some back up!

radaronline.com/features/2008/02/escolar_haw…

Sorry you caught it! Having had it, it is awesome, and didn't make me sick...but as always a warning is good!

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Beware the "walu" fish

That article says it all. NO ONE will try the walu after reading it! Such a tasty fish, but at what cost....

Anchorage, Alaska
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beware the "walu" fish

My husband and I both suffered ill gatrointestinal effects after eating Walu at a local Kihei restaurant in Maui. His symptoms were minor (indigestion) but I was sick for 2 days (on the couch with stomach cramps and frequent trips to the toilet). I guess the servers are supposed to warn people about this fish. I just can't understand why restaurants would put this on the menu--I mean why take a chance at making a customer sick even if the fish is tasty?? Anyway, lesson learned. I will be much more careful about eating fish next time.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,785 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beware the "walu" fish

That is very interesting!! I wouldnt think I would choose that fish in the future

5. Re: Beware the "walu" fish

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:23 am, October 19, 2009