We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maui vs Big Island

NYC
2 posts
Save Topic
Maui vs Big Island

We are planning to go to Hawaii for our honeymoon in September 06 and we want to visit two islands. We are sold on Kauai, but we are trying to decide between Maui and Big Island. Any suggestions would be helpful - thanks very much!

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,626 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maui vs Big Island

What sorts of things do you like to do?

I could guess but it would be better if you told us then we can give you all sorts of suggestions.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Maui vs Big Island

Hi !

Maui and the Big Island are very different. I would say that Kauai and the Big Island are pretty similar.

Kauai/Big Island = lots of nature, good beaches, hiking, activities that involve outdoor, etc.

Maui = more touristy, lots of activities, more children

My husband and I just returned from our honeymoon on Maui and Kauai, and have visted the Big Island and Oahu (Honolulu) before. Our favorite is the Big Island, with Kauai being a close second, but we weren't looking for bars or things to do at night, and liked the peace and quiet of these two. However, since it looks like you are trying to diversify what you see, I would say that Maui would be very different than Kauai.

Also, FYI Maui is MUCH more expensive. Try the Napili Bay area for a bit of a price break. And remember on that on these islands, EVERYTHING is an easy driving distance. :) Have fun!

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma, Grove
Level Contributor
5,060 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maui vs Big Island

I completely agree with the others...it depends on what you like to do. Basically, if you love going out to fabulous restaurants, luaus, nightlife go to Maui. If you're more into outdoorsy stuff, go to BI. Other questions would be how old are you, how active, is there a budget involved, condo or hotel, do you like golf, scuba, etc. Give us some more information so we can give better suggestions.

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma, Grove
Level Contributor
5,060 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maui vs Big Island

I forgot to tell you, the BI is our favorite by far...and we've stayed on all.

NYC
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Maui vs Big Island

Thanks very much for the replies. We are looking for a good combination of laying around and being active (hiking, snorkeling, etc) during our honeymoon. We aren't too concerned about nightlife. I am worried that Maui might be too built up and, on the other hand, that there won't be enough to do on the Big Island (i.e., we won't leave the resort). Thoughts? Thanks again!

washington state
Level Contributor
547 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maui vs Big Island

There is lots to do on the BI or nothing to do depending on your perspective. If you like to drive around and explore, the BI is great. So many diverse regions and you can't drive around easily in one day (suggest staying in two locations while there). The BI is totally different than Kauai but both offer the most "authentic" hawaiian experience. Maui can be built up or completely deserted, depending on where you go on the island (true with most of the islands). Do you plan to stay at a resort or a rental? Or is this too late and you've made plans?

washington state
Level Contributor
547 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maui vs Big Island

There is lots to do on the BI or nothing to do depending on your perspective. If you like to drive around and explore, the BI is great. So many diverse regions and you can't drive around easily in one day (suggest staying in two locations while there). The BI is totally different than Kauai but both offer the most "authentic" hawaiian experience. Maui can be built up or completely deserted, depending on where you go on the island (true with most of the islands). Do you plan to stay at a resort or a rental? Or is this too late and you've made plans?