We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which are the BEST 2 islands to travel to?

Kansas
Level Contributor
51 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Which are the BEST 2 islands to travel to?

Sometime in the future (and possibly next spring), my husband and I will be taking a vacation to Hawaii for probably 7 nights or so. I was just curious which of the islands we should do? I don't want to cram too much into our trip so I'm thinking 1, maybe 2 of the islands at most. I have been to Oahu (definitely not impressed) and Maui (fun and beautiful but extremely commercialized I thought) 10 years ago but my husband has never been at all. We would want to have some great beaches, do lots of outdoor stuff - hiking, sightseeing (waterfalls, volcanoes, etc) and would like to have a decent selection of restaurants and social things to do as well. I am strongly leaning toward Kauai for part (if not all) the vacation but am curious about the Big Island, any of the smaller ones, and if I should probably give Maui a second chance!!

All input appreciated!!

Thanks!

Kansas
Level Contributor
51 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which are the BEST 2 islands to travel to?

Just wanted to move this up to get some input!! Thanks!

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
2,262 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which are the BEST 2 islands to travel to?

My favorites are Maui and the Big Island. I haven't done Molokai or Lanai yet.

With 7 nights you might want to stick with one island.

kohala coast, hawaii
Level Contributor
1,418 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which are the BEST 2 islands to travel to?

based on your posting, I'd suggest Kauai and the Big Island as the least commerical with amazing natural beauty - plus they have everything else on your wish list.

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
1,337 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which are the BEST 2 islands to travel to?

short answer O'ahu and the Big Island

enjoy your time in Hawai`i

Kauai / Los Angeles
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Which are the BEST 2 islands to travel to?

If you only stay for 7 nights, it's going to be a little difficult to do 2 islands. Much of one day would be taken up by traveling, getting a rental car, and finding your new place to stay. If you did 10 nights, it would be easier. Since you've been to Maui, you could do 3 nights there and 4 nights on Kauai or TBI. Keep in mind, if you're going to stay in a condo, many places have a 5 or 7 night minimum stay.

Since you don't want to cram too much in, I would say just to do one island - either Kauai or TBI. It sounds like Kauai may be a good choice if you want nice beaches, waterfalls and hiking. It doesn't get much more scenic than the Kalalau trail on the north shore. Enjoy!