We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hawaii's Big Island vs. Azores (Portugal)

Montpelier, Vermont
Level Contributor
11 posts
9 reviews
7 helpful votes
Hawaii's Big Island vs. Azores (Portugal)

My partner's extended family has a home on the Big Island, and I'm trying to motivate to take advantage of the free place to stay. However, living on the East Coast, flight time and costs are daunting. I've been to the Azores, both Sao Miguel and Terceira, and the flight to the Azores from Boston is so much shorter (and cheaper).

Can anyone who has been to both the Azores and the Big Island chime in about some experiences I can get on the Big Island that one cannot get in the Azores? That might help me take the plunge and book a ticket for spring (maybe April).

About me: I enjoy natural beauty, easy to moderate hikes, wild horses, all things coffee-related, and good food. I enjoy historic, walkable towns and nice walking trails. My partner loves snorkeling, coral reef, and aquatic life. I prefer to minimize my time in a car, but understand this may not be possible on the Big Island.

4 replies to this topic
Maui
Level Contributor
76,159 posts
18 reviews
16 helpful votes
1. Re: Hawaii's Big Island vs. Azores (Portugal)

I haven't been to the Azores, though I have been to Portugal. I would never compare it to the BI-or really, any island in Hawaii. Totally different experiences, cultures, people, and more :-).

The Big Island's most commonly sought after site is Kilauea, at least right now. Even if the active lava flow stops by next April, the terrain and areas will be well worth seeing--assuming they are able to open some of the Park or some other viewing/hiking areas.

The snorkeling and diving off the BI is usually considered the best in Hawaii. You won't see the same types of coral or sea life. In April, esp if it's earlier in the month, you have a good chance of seeing humpback whales and calves close to shore.

There are a number of small towns-villages, really-on the BI. There are also several coffee farms and other things like the Vanilla plantation..........

For history, there are several Heiau, the Hulihe'e Palace, Hilo's Tsunami Museum, and more.

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
30,475 posts
2. Re: Hawaii's Big Island vs. Azores (Portugal)

Too bad Shea's not here.

California
Level Contributor
49,837 posts
18 reviews
26 helpful votes
3. Re: Hawaii's Big Island vs. Azores (Portugal)

Or KK, too ... :o(

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
30,475 posts
4. Re: Hawaii's Big Island vs. Azores (Portugal)

Yes, very sad.

KK is back a little. Here's hoping for more!

Reply to: Hawaii's Big Island vs. Azores (Portugal)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted