We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Want to vacation in Georgia mountains family with kids...

Orlando, Florida
1 post
Save Topic
Want to vacation in Georgia mountains family with kids...

Looking for nice safe area to stay with family and kids in Georgia mountains. Although not too secluded. Looking at Helen, Blairsville, Ellijay and blueridge...also looking at cabins from Mountain Top, Blue Sky, Above the Rest rentals..I am asking for suggestions and tips...will be traveling from Florida..thanks

moss point
Level Contributor
191 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Want to vacation in Georgia mountains family with kids...

i stayed in a cabin near helen i think on rich moutain, very nice, good views. Helen is sort of a cheezy run down gatlingburg, but on the way there is a grainery and antique shop called nora mill, there are some old chapels and indian mounds near by, also good restaurant on the way to helen in a shopping village. If you like waterfalls there are many in and around the area, be sure to see Ruby twin falls near Helen, also go to TALLULAH falls and gorge and state park, we visited brass town mountain which was beautiful, also cleveland, clarksville, dahlonga. I loved the georgia mountains, the quaint small towns . Go to the library and read up on the area.

Canton, Georgia
Level Contributor
6 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Want to vacation in Georgia mountains family with kids...

Hello I lived in the blue ridge area for years as a realtor . I suggest finding a cabin in the community of cherry log mountain. Most of these cabins are smaller in size but the community has the best mountain feel ! Creeks ponds and the hiking trail Benton McKay runs through the development with a marked trail walk a block a mile or 10 miles ! A small chapel is even off the trail by a pond here, beautiful!. The town of blue ridge has a park for the kids, many fine restaurants ( ll beanery ,harvest on main, blue ridge brewery, etc) (my favorite breakfast is at serenity on Main Street. )

Merciers apple orchard shouldn't be missed either. Truly a magical area only 100 miles north of atlanta!

Cleveland, Georgia
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Want to vacation in Georgia mountains family with kids...

Lucille's Mountain Top Inn, Sautée Ga. 5 min from Helen

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
11,078 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Want to vacation in Georgia mountains family with kids...

Does Lucille's accept kids? I got the impression they were more of an adult/ special occasion B&B.

Tons of cabin rentAls in the N GA mtns. Look at the communities of Bent Tree and Big Canoe.

atlanta ga
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Want to vacation in Georgia mountains family with kids...

I would base your decision more on the activities you want to do, and don't forget that many of the state parks have a lot to offer in the way of activities, and may be cheaper than hotels (hiking, fishing, boating, canoes). Depending on the age of your kids, something in Northwest GA may be better as there are lots of good activities for younger children in Chattanooga TN, and you have white water rafting on the Ocoee if your kids are over the age of 12. Also note that each of the small towns has something unique to offer that may interest you (mining for gold in dahlonega, going to the cabbage patch hospital, horseback riding on trails -- just depends on what you want to do and what you enjoy), and that you may want to pick a "central spot" to stay, as most of these towns are a short drive from each other.

6. Re: Want to vacation in Georgia mountains family with kids...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, April 21, 2015