We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendations for what to see in Georgia? 3 days to fill.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
913 posts
132 reviews
Save Topic
Recommendations for what to see in Georgia? 3 days to fill.

I have 3 days for sightseeing in Georgia in November after a conference in Buckhead.

During the conference, I'll be able to explore Atlanta after 5pm. I'm not sure how doable this is given that:

1. It will be after 5pm.

2. Don't drink, don't dance (what do I do?).

3. Won't have a car.

Any suggestions on how to spend four weekday evenings in Buckhead, (from 5pm-9pm)?

After the conference is done, I'll be meeting up with friends who live an hour outside Atlanta; they'll bring a car. Their ideas so far are to listen to Jimmy Carter give his Sunday lecture in Plains, and to visit a spa (Chateau Elan).

Somewhat flexible limitations:

1. Nothing physically strenuous. Nothing beyond a one mile stroll.

2. No single car ride over 3 hours.

3. Flying in and out of Atlanta.

4. Have already seen Savannah and Charleston, and not wanting to see them again. (Okay to travel outside the state, but we've already been to Asheville.)

In the past our group has enjoyed historical re-enactments, quaint towns, city strolls/tours, eating out.

Haven't been to Chattanooga, but it's not anywhere near Plains; it seems like nothing much is near Plains, and thus I'm not sure the trip to Plains is worth doing.

Would appreciate suggestions.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
27,745 posts
384 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommendations for what to see in Georgia? 3 days to fill.

These are some ideas near Atlanta-

FDR's Little Whitehouse and pools, Callaway Gardens and eat at Bulloch House in Warm Springs

Etowah Indian Mounds, New Echota, Red Top MT. SP

Tallulah Gorge, Black Rock MT. SP, Clayton and Dillard and eat at Dillard House

On way to Plains-

Andersonville Civil War POW camp and museum

Macon- historic homes

Oculmugee Indian Mounds

Warner Robbins- aviation museum

Enjoy your trip!!

Edited: 5:58 pm, October 17, 2012
Atlanta, Georgia...
Level Contributor
674 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommendations for what to see in Georgia? 3 days to fill.

Not sure how big your group is but there are some shows in town that might be worth checking out. Cirque du Soleil is opening this week and will be here for a couple months. You might want to check the schedule at the Buckhead Theater, Fox Theater and Atlanta Civic Center to see if anything else of interest is going on while you are here.

The Atlanta History Center is worth a visit in Buckhead. Aside from the museum itself, the property includes the Swan House and the Tullie Smith House. They sometimes offer evening hours.

The area you will be has some of the best restaurants in town. Certainly plan to spend some time checking those out. Not sure where you are staying in Buckhead, but the list of good places to eat is almost endless and the price range is vast.

You could tour the Sweetwater Brewery, which isn't exactly in Buckhead, but is pretty darn close. http://sweetwaterbrew.com/brewery/tours/

Shopping malls are open until 9 pm, and with Lenox and Phipps in the heart of Buckhead, they are at least a good outlet for people watching if opening your wallet isn't appealing.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
913 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommendations for what to see in Georgia? 3 days to fill.

Appreciate the ideas.

Things to see along the way to Plains?

Los Angeles...
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommendations for what to see in Georgia? 3 days to fill.

I will be in Atlanta for a conference next week. I assume I am downtown. Recommendations for great bars and restaurants after 5. Will have a car to get around. shopping???

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
913 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommendations for what to see in Georgia? 3 days to fill.

And I'm still working on an itinerary, especially re: the time and miles between Plains and Chateau Elan.

Can anyone suggest a plantation between Plains and Atlanta that doesn't glorify the lives of the plantation owners?

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
27,745 posts
384 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommendations for what to see in Georgia? 3 days to fill.

Working plantation near Macon off I 75 -here is the link-

www,gastateparks.org

and click on Jarrell Plantation for info and photos.

Many of the old antebellum plantations that you think of like in Gone With the Wind were destroyed in the Civil War.

7. Re: Recommendations for what to see in Georgia? 3 days to fill.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, October 26, 2013