We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North Georgia Hiking for Novices

Atlanta
5 posts
Save Topic
North Georgia Hiking for Novices

We live in Marietta -- looking for a fun hike for the family.

Kids 7 and 10. We are novice hikers and are looking for a nice day trip for this weekend. Would love to hike in the mountains, but do not know where a good place is for non-hikers like us.

Mom and kids fit, dad can handle moderate exercise.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Marietta
Marietta
Georgia
Atlanta
Level Contributor
826 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: North Georgia Hiking for Novices

kennesaw mountain park-----several different loops you can do out here.. Its been years since I've been out there but I'm sure a ranger will be able to direct you on a short, relatively easy hike.

fort mountain state park----near chatsworth. I've never been here but it looks like an interesting place. its 3,700 acres with a 17 acres lake and 14 miles of hiking trails. pedal boat rental, miniature golf, horseback riding enough stuff to keep you busy for a day or weekend.....http://www.gastateparks.org/info/fortmt/

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: North Georgia Hiking for Novices

Fort Mountain is a great place for very pleasant easy hiking (but with enough elevation change to get you used to that). Be sure to not just check out the wall but also the observation tower and western overlook. The latter is one of my most favourite views in the state. (Blood Mountain is my favourite.)

Blood Mountain is another option. You're dealing with a solid two thousand feet of elevation gain (its the highest peak on the Appalachian Trail), but it's a relatively medium length hike. Maybe this is a good one for later.

Pinhoti Trail is fairly level. Has very large trees on it including a very tall poplar.

Heading in another direction, you can enjoy waterfall hiking in Cloudland Canyon on Lookout Mountain.

I recommend getting a trail guide from Falcon Guides or some such at a local bookstore. There's a lot of mountains out there (including the largest wilderness in the East) that we can't account for here.

Edited: 9:56 pm, July 24, 2010
Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,975 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: North Georgia Hiking for Novices

How much "hiking" do you want, and how much nature do you want?

My family LOVES Edge of the World. At this point most of it is a very well cared for trail and mostly flat. When you reach the Edge the kids can play in the water and you can picnic on the rocks. It is really close to us and beautiful. Talulllah Gorge is beautiful The main trails are easy. Some of the different waterfallys are beautiful but lots of stairs. If you can do stairs head to some of the falls.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
32,794 posts
466 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: North Georgia Hiking for Novices

Also might add there are trails for hiking in Roosevelt State Park near Pine Mt. This is in middle Ga not north Ga but a great place to hike and lots of nice scenery. Also good place to eat in nearby Warm Springs at Bulloch House. Other things to do in area are Callaway Gardens and FDR Little White House and pools.

Mentioned in this post
Callaway Gardens
Callaway Gardens
1,446 Reviews
Pine Mountain, GA
Little White House
Little White House
656 Reviews
Warm Springs, GA
5. Re: North Georgia Hiking for Novices

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, January 28, 2011