We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fall foliage in NW GA

Sulphur, Louisiana
Level Contributor
315 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Fall foliage in NW GA

Could you tell me where we could see pretty Fall scenery the end of Oct. in NW Georgia? Thank you.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
27,401 posts
382 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fall foliage in NW GA

Chickamauga Battlefield in NW GA but I like the area around Helen and Brasstown Bald which is more in the north central area.

florida
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Fall foliage in NW GA

I would go east of Chatsworth in the Chattahoochee National Forest. Go to the Cohutta WMA. Make sure and get off the main road and see the real beauty on the gravel forest service roads. You will have the place to yourself and it is drop dead gorgeous.

I also suggest getting a good map of the national forest. They are like 7.00 but well worth it.

Another nice drive is highway 52 from Chatsworth to Ellijay.

Sulphur, Louisiana
Level Contributor
315 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fall foliage in NW GA

Thank you everyone for the info. Several years ago we went to Cloudland SP. What is it like now?

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fall foliage in NW GA

Cloudland is a wonderful state park, and the colours are really pretty there. If your visit falls on the right day you can also visit Lula Lake Land Trust, a little further up the mountain than Cloudland, which offers more colour, a nice lake, a fantastic waterfall, and nice views out over the Tennessee Valley. All the way at the northern climax of the mountain you've got views from Rock City, Point Park, Sunset Rock, the Bluff Trail in the Lookout Mountain unit of Chattanooga and Chickamauga National Military Park, and Reflection Riding Arboretum. Further down the mountain just over the state line in Alabama you've got DeSoto Falls and Little River Canyon National Preserve, which is really gorgeous but doesn't involve much foliage in the canyon itself.

I also recommend the drive from Chatsworth to Fort Mountain State Park. There's some incredible views from up there.

Chickamauga Battlefield is a lovely spot, and really fascinating historically-speaking. Lots of nice monuments and such.

Newnan, Georgia
Level Contributor
37 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fall foliage in NW GA

Usually a NE Georgia traveler in the Fall...BUT...just got back from a NW Georgia Fall scenery trip this weekend..... went to Springplace to see the Vann House then to Chatsworth - Ellijay - Blairsville - Morganton and Blue Ridge (train ride in Blue Ridge available).

We made a circle...started in Ellijay then drove Hwy. 52 East (several Apple stops on 52) for a bit and turned left onto Big Creed Road to Doublehead to Skeenah Road to Blue Ridge Highway that took us through the Chatahoochee National Forest to Blairsville.....then drove back Highway 76/515 and stopped in the historic part of the towns...LOVED Blue Ridge and Ellijay.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
826 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fall foliage in NW GA

I was in the Big Frog Wilderness this past Thursday which is just north of Blue Ridge in Tennessee. At around 4,000 feet there was noticeable color change, but definitely not peak. I would definitely think last weekend in October/first weekend in November would be peak color.

Sulphur, Louisiana
Level Contributor
315 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fall foliage in NW GA

Thank you for so much info.

8. Re: Fall foliage in NW GA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 28, 2010