We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting around Atlanta from Duluth

Canada
Level Contributor
221 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Getting around Atlanta from Duluth

Hello. I have accommodations this weekend at the Holiday Inn Gwinnet Center (6310 Sugarloaf Pkwy, Duluth, GA) but would like to visit the sights of Atlanta. Is it possible to get around to the tourist venues like CNN Studio, MLK Birthplace (Natatorium), Cyclorama, etc. without using a car? I would prefer to avoid the busy interstates in Atlanta and was wondering if the MARTA is accessible from Duluth. Thanks very much.

Grayson, Georgia
Level Contributor
428 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting around Atlanta from Duluth

It will be difficult and possibly quite time-consuming. Gwinnett County (where Duluth is located) has very limited mass transit service. Some information with routes and schedules is available here: gwinnettcounty.com/cgi-bin/…

You'll be staying in the "Discover Mills" area, so check out route 103. Also, see routes 410 and 412 of the GRTA express service. Be sure to read the times for those routes, because they are aimed at transporting commuters TO Atlanta in the morning and FROM Atlanta in the evening, and all appear to run Mon-Fri only. Local Gwinnett County transit buses run on Saturdays also, but I don't think they leave Gwinnett County (there is no MARTA station in Gwinnett). So unless you're talking about a weekday visit, you may be out of luck.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong; I don't use Gwinnett Transit and am basing my conclusions on what I found online.

Grayson, Georgia
Level Contributor
428 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting around Atlanta from Duluth

Sorry--looks like you could take Route 40 to the Transit Center. gwinnettcounty.com/departments/…40.pdf

Then take route 10 to Doraville.

gwinnettcounty.com/departments/…10.pdf

Grayson, Georgia
Level Contributor
428 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting around Atlanta from Duluth

I really should have completed my last thought . . . Doraville has a MARTA station, which will take you downtown. It is the closest station to Duluth.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,299 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting around Atlanta from Duluth

If you have a car, but would just prefer not to drive, then you have the option of driving to the Doraville MARTA station and taking the train into downtown. If you don't have a car at all, then as the previous poster mentioned it's going to be challenging. Gwinnett County Transit runs weekdays and Saturdays. There's an express bus (Route 103) from the Discover Mills Park & Ride lot to downtown on weekdays, but it doesn't run on weekends. On Saturday, you'd have to take the Route 40 bus from the Discover Mills Park and Ride to the GCT Transit Center at Gwinnett Place Mall, and transfer there to the Route 10 bus to Doraville MARTA station, then take the train down. On Sundays, you're completely out of luck, other than taking a cab from the hotel to the Doraville station.

Canada
Level Contributor
221 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting around Atlanta from Duluth

Thanks so much for your input cdillard and rackensack!! I will have access to a car but am a little scared to take on the Atlanta interstates from what I saw on my last visit. I can definitely try to drive down to the Doraville station if there is cheap and safe parking available. Thanks very much again! I can't believe I got responses so fast.

atlanta ga
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting around Atlanta from Duluth

If it helps, you can use backroads to get there and stay off of the interstate -- mapquest your hotel, and then move west to Buford Hwy (Hwy 23) or Peachtree Industrial Blvd -- head south on either one to Doraville.

Grayson, Georgia
Level Contributor
428 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting around Atlanta from Duluth

And the Doraville MARTA station has free daily parking. I think you have to pay if you leave the car overnight, but same-day exit is no charge.

Canada
Level Contributor
221 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting around Atlanta from Duluth

Thanks everyone. Had a great trip.

9. Re: Getting around Atlanta from Duluth

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 19, 2010