We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ATT: Australians - waiver of ineligibility for a B2 Visa

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
ATT: Australians - waiver of ineligibility for a B2 Visa

Hi,

My husband is currently waiting for approval for waiver of ineligibility. He was convicted of breaking and entering of a car 22 years ago.

He had a visa 6 years ago which was granted on the spot.

He had his interview at the Melbourne Consulate on the 28th of Aug. They denied him on the spot but recommended him for a waiver of ineligibility for 5 years. The reason why he left it this late is that he was granted one on the spot previously and we were hoping to get to Hawaii mid 2014 (only applied for a 12 month visa).

He was told by the official who interviewed him that his passport would be sent off to DHS in Washington DC. He also said they will grant it but it will take 20-22 weeks.

I called the consulate that afternoon (while my husband was still in Melbourne) hoping to see if he can do anything who he was still there. I was told I needed to speak to DHS is Washington.

So when they opened (930pm our time) I called them. Finally when I got through to someone I was told he would be sent out a letter within 4 weeks with a case number and we can call back once he received that.

I had to call them last week for a general question but did tell us his passport is at the Melbourne Consulate and I was told they can not help us and that we need to speak to a department based on Thailand as they also represent Australia. They gave me the number to call. So the next day when they opened I called them. I spoke to a Thai, she said she can not help us at all as they only help Thai residents and will need to speak to the consulate in Melbourne.

I emailed the Melbourne consulate who was no help at all.

Can anyone help with what the correct process is.

Do they send passports off to the DHS in Washington?

How long did you have to wait from the interview to the time you got your passport back?

Did they keep you passport or give it back to you? (I'm hoping for a quick turn about as they kept his passport)

Any tips on how to speed it up?

Once granted will that give him a 5 year visa or that he will just be eligible for a visa (12 mths per visa) for the next 5 years?

We leave in 9 1/2 weeks and I am starting to stress that we will have to postpone. (The main purpose for this trip is to experience our first white Christmas before the kids get too old). I am a travel consultant so I will be the one having to cancel it all plus what we would lose will be in the close to $2000.

Thanks,

Colorado
Level Contributor
3,451 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ATT: Australians - waiver of ineligibility for a B2 Visa

On the Orlando FL board there have been frequent discussions of late on this very subject. Suggest you might want to go over there which might answer. TBH I haven't paid enough attention to the discussions since it doesn't involve me. Sorry. Your exact situation has been discussed.

2. Re: ATT: Australians - waiver of ineligibility for a B2 Visa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, September 24, 2014