We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

south Florida beachfront vacation

Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
south Florida beachfront vacation

I could use some help from anyone that's a Florida-aficionado. I'm having trouble finding a place within the parameters I'm looking for. I figured I'd turn to then forums to help.

I'm looking for a destination that:

-is within 30-45 minutes of Tampa, Sarasota, ft lauderdale, ft Myers, or west palm beach. (Jetblue airports; I have credit)

-is very casual, laid back, with an island/key west feel and is directly on the beach. Not across from, or near it. But on it. I'm not looking for a big chan W hotel or Ritz Carlon. However, I'm not looking for a B&B or converted house either. Somewhere in between.

-is within walking distance of shops, restaurants, boutiques, and a general pedestrian traffic area. With some nightlife. A bar is fine. Not necessarily Miami nightclubs. Miami is what I'm avoiding.

Thanks a lot. I know this seems specific, however, I suppose, we all know what we want. Thanks s lot. LG

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Tampa
Tampa
Florida
Sarasota
Sarasota
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Florida
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: south Florida beachfront vacation

Investigate Lauderdale-by-the-Sea. Quiet town with lots of good restaurants. Not tons to do (outside of eat and relax) but it's an easy jaunt to Ft. Lauderdale if you want activities. The Sea Lord Hotel is very nice - old Florida on the outside but totally updated inside.

Edited: 5:48 pm, July 05, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Lauderdale by the Sea
Lauderdale by the Sea
Broward County, FL
Fort Lauderdale
Fort Lauderdale
Broward County, FL
Sea Lord Hotel & Suites
Sea Lord Hotel & Suites
292 Reviews
Lauderdale by the Sea, FL
Florida
Florida
United States
Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
9,035 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: south Florida beachfront vacation

Lauderdale-by-the-Sea has indeed exempted itself from intense urban development.

The islands around Sarasota should be inviting. I'm not so sure of Palm Beach County. Fort Myers is near Sanibel-Captiva, which have also greatly restricted development. They will be fully recovered from hurricane Charley of 2004, except many of the Australian pines are gone.

Mentioned in this post
Lauderdale by the Sea
Lauderdale by the Sea
Broward County, FL
Sarasota
Sarasota
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Fort Myers Beach
Fort Myers Beach
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Sanibel Island
Sanibel Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Captiva Island
Captiva Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Level Contributor
396 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: south Florida beachfront vacation

How about any of the following: siesta key, Anna maria, Naples, ft. Myers or Marco island.

Mentioned in this post
Naples
Naples
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Marco Island
Marco Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: south Florida beachfront vacation

Yes. Those areas are great. However I can't seem to find nice resorts as I described, on TA

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
9,219 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: south Florida beachfront vacation

You have described Clearwater Beach .. read that forum to see if anything clicks.

Mentioned in this post
Clearwater Beach
Clearwater Beach
9,849 Reviews
Clearwater, FL
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: south Florida beachfront vacation

Clearwater does look appropriate. Other then the fact the only 2 resorts on the beach are sand pearl and the Hilton. Neither look particularly nice. And The rest of the resorts are by the bay or marina. Thanks though. Everyone is very helpful with their suggestions.

Mentioned in this post
Hilton Orlando
Hilton Orlando
5,581 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2,244 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: south Florida beachfront vacation

The Sandpearl in Clearwater Beach is a beautiful luxury hotel with great service, right on the beach, and close to restaurants and shops. You said you wanted a Key West type place - the only place I've stayed at in Key West was the Ocean Key Resort - I think the Sandpearl is much nicer. Our suite at Ocean Key Resort overlooked Mallory Square - and had great sunsets. The Sandpearl has a great pool, lounge chairs on the beach, a beachfront bar with Adirondack chairs you can pull up to a fire on the beach each night. If you are looking for luxury - this place is great. You can get ocean facing rooms with Sunset views. It is just a short walk to Pier 60 and the nightly celebration with street performers and artisans. Clearwater Beach also has many laid back oceanfront bars with live music - great way to spend an evening. They also have condos available - but they are rather $$$.

If luxury isn't what you're after - give us more of a description and perhaps someone has a suggestion for you.

Mentioned in this post
Sandpearl Resort
Sandpearl Resort
2,560 Reviews
Clearwater, FL
Clearwater Beach
Clearwater Beach
9,849 Reviews
Clearwater, FL
Key West
Key West
Florida Keys, FL
Ocean Key Resort & Spa
Ocean Key Resort & Spa
2,753 Reviews
Key West, FL
Mallory Square
Mallory Square
11,965 Reviews
Key West, FL
8. Re: south Florida beachfront vacation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, July 08, 2014