We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weddings in Delaware

Colorado
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Weddings in Delaware

Can anyone give me some ideas as to interesting or unusual places in DE for a wedding? I have been reading on different forums and searching the web it looks like no one gets married in DE??

I have never been to the state and know nothing about it but can't seem to find places of interest to have a wedding. Historic sites, beaches, old quaint churches, parks etc. Any and all info would be appreaciated.

sqdancr

Lewes, DE
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Weddings in Delaware

The Inn at Canal Square

Cape Henlopen State Park (right on the beach)

Lewes, DE

Beautiful!!

theinnatcanalsquare.com

Newark, Delaware
Level Contributor
621 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weddings in Delaware

There are too many to list. the magazine, Delaware Today even dedicate a whole monthly issue on this subject. I don't remember what month it comes out but, it has wonderful ideas and locations along with listings of caterers, coordinators, hints, etc. on this subject. We were married and had the reception at the Crystal Ballroom at the Dupont Country Club which was absolutely beautiful, wedding was outside (pics are gorgeous), but, Delaware is known for beach weddings, beautiful park weddings (some with themes even or carriage rides to the affair). There is Old New Castle that has great locations in the town for weddings as well. There are many old and adorable churches throughout the state but, you need to book well in advance.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,325 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weddings in Delaware

I was married in the Hotel Dupont (Wilmington)in the magnificent room that used to be the Dupont Co.'s boardroom. I think you can also arrange to use the Governor's mansion in Dover, and maybe Winterthur near Wilmington.

Wilmington, Delaware
Level Contributor
58 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weddings in Delaware

Depending on the time of year there are many choices. One that has not been mentioned yet in the other posts is the Winterthur Museum and grounds. Absolutely beautiful! Also at the duPont Country club there is another facility called Brantwyn - a former residence of one of the duPont families. Google it and you will find lots of info. Old New Castle has many choices - the George Read house is the one that comes to mind first. There are many beautiful old homes in and around the Odessa area as well. Check out the Historical Society of Delaware website. The Gold Ball room in the Hotel duPont in Wilmington is another favorite. The Bellevue Mansion in Bellevue State Park is beautiful too. There are lots of places you just have to know where to look! Hope this give you a little more research to do - good luck!

Colorado
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Weddings in Delaware

Thanks to everyone for the advise. I now have some names and places to research. It certainly is a handicap having never been there and not knowing the area. We have about a year and a half to work with. Seems a long ways off but time flies and I know that places book early. I hope to be out there with my daughter this spring/early summer. you may see me again with more questions. Again thank you for your help.

sqdancr

Lancaster, PA
Level Contributor
303 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weddings in Delaware

I was also thinking New Castle or Odessa would be romantic for a couple who enjoy history. Do they allow weddings at Longwood Gardens?...WOW would that be nice!

Sonoma, California
Level Contributor
2 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weddings in Delaware

There is also Archmere Academy which has beautiful grounds..

delaware
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Weddings in Delaware

Bellevue Park has a mansion that is a beautiful spot for weddings. I think Appleton Catering does weddings there. (appletoncatering.com)

Pike Creek, Delaware
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Weddings in Delaware

I've been researching reception sites myself, and here's what I've found. Some of these have already been mentioned. This is based on research I've done in November 2007, but I can't guarantee the accuracy of any of this.

Horticultural Center of DE. Beautiful garden site right in the city of Wilm., behind Trolley Square. Has outdoor and indoor spaces for up to 150 guests. Either $1500-$2000 or $2000-$2500 to rent the site for 5 hours. Only 5 caterers currently approved there, including Appleton, Toscana, and The Greenery.

Gibraltar/Marion Coffin Gardens. Another beautiful, old garden right in WIlm., off Pennsylvania Ave. $2500 to rent the site. Has its own special problems like very limited parking & no indoor space for caterers.

Blue & Gold Club, Newark. On campus of U of D. Fully catered, $54-$70 per person. Guests would be spread out over 4 adjoining rooms (I'm told that it still makes for a very nice affair).

Greenbank Mill, Rt. 52 between Prices Corner and Pike Creek area. Very inexpensive at $300 for 8 hour rental of site. You can have a wedding on the grounds, and reception inside in their hall, but the hall only has room for 90 people. Also, it's a little more rustic. But it's a museum, and the grounds are nice.

St. Anthony's in the Hills. Not sure if they've had many weddings there, but I know you can rent certain facilities (not very fancy) pretty cheaply. I'm going to see about setting up a tent on the grounds, because they have acres and acres of green/wooded spaces. This is owned by St. Anthony's Church in Wilmington, but is out in the western suburbs, near Hockessin.

Blue Ball Barn, recently renovated historic site. I think you can only get 90 guests in their biggest room, too. $1400 for site rental for 5 hours. Owned by the state park system.

Bellevue Hall (Mansion), Bellevue State Park. $3300 to rent site. Very elegant, historic DuPont mansion. Surrounding park is nice as well - there's a spot in the garden, with a gazebo, where you can hold a ceremony. Someone mentioned Appleton Caterers - I know Piane Caterers is approved there as well.

Judge Morris Estate in White Clay State Park, off of Polly Drummond Rd. $1200 to rent site for a few hours. Problem with this is the house doesn't fit that many guests, but there might be a possibility of tenting the grounds. This is a huge park that extends into PA - lots of mountain biking and hiking trails.

Wilmington and Western Railroad. You can rent out the train station if you have a very small reception (50 people, maybe?). Or you can actually rent a historic train to either have your reception in, or to take your guests on a short jaunt while dessert is served. You can also tent the grounds there, though the grounds aren't that scenic. I didn't get a price on this, but I imagine it's up there.

Winterthur is about as beautiful site as you can get, with a large slate patio coming out of a very nice restaurant, surrounded by woods and flowers. Pricey at $105 per person, though, to start. From looking at the menu, though, the food would be much more innovative than your average caterer.

University of Delaware also has other reception sites at their Newark and Wilmington campuses. I don't remember the prices, but they were a little too high for my range.

Brandywine Country Club in suburbs of N. Wilmington starts at $62 per person. Nice, elegant facility, and an alternative to DuPont.

The Historical Society of Delaware has several historic buildings in Wilmington that they rent out. Seems like the average price is $250 per hour. Most of the sites would probably be too small for the average reception, but there are a couple that could work.

Read House & Garden in Old New Castle (also operated by the Historical Society). Beautiful garden for an outdoor wedding. Probably pricey. But the nice thing about a reception in Old New Castle (which is why I'm looking into that) is that the town itself is what I consider to be one of the prettiest spots on the East Coast. It's a little like a Colonial Williamsburg, and there's a river front park there that provides gorgeous sunset views. I'd like to have a reception there and say to my guests "Please - before dinner, just stroll around the town".

The Arsenal at Old New Castle rents out their upstairs. Historic restaurant. Not sure price - that's the next place I need to call.

Of course, there are all kinds of fire halls, memorial halls, country clubs, hotels, and restaurants you can rent out. But there are some of the more interesting sites, in my opinion. Again - this is based on research I've done in November of 2007, but I can't guarantee that all of these prices are correct.

Good luck, Brides!

Wilmington, DE
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Weddings in Delaware

Wow, thanks so much for all of this information. Anything else you find please post here!