We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a self drive tour

Lancashire England
Level Contributor
209 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Planning a self drive tour

Hi,

My wife and I both in our fifties both love touring various parts of the USA and have decided to do New England in fall next year.

We really want to do a taster of each of the six States in just over two weeks.

I have been online and have seen a two week driving tour that starts in Boston, then Sebago Lake, Goreham, St Johnsbury, Cornish, Londonderry, North Adams, Torrington, Putnam, Wickford, Little Compton, Sandwich then back to Boston to fly out.

I’m sure that there are better suggestions from the good folks on TripAdvsor!

Our main interests are short trails and beautiful scenery (coastal, mountain and river/lake and wildlife)

We don’t cycle or kayak and not really interested in aquariums or zoos.

I would appreciate any recommendations for B&B’s or budget to medium hotel/motels too

I am posting this on all six state forums for ultimate response

Thank you in advance.

Les

Norwalk, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,579 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning a self drive tour

Lots of info here !

http://www.ctvisit.com/

Connecticut
Level Contributor
11 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning a self drive tour

For scenery, the Northwest Hills are wonderful and there are several B&B's in the area as well.

Lancashire England
Level Contributor
209 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning a self drive tour

Hi,

I have posted this on all the states in New England and have had a lot of advice.

I have revised my plans and we will be arriving in Boston on Friday 26th October.

From there here is our proposed itinerary.

3 nights Boston (decent priced hotel/motel in a decent area recommendation required please)

Pick up car on Monday 29th 2 nights Portland area

2 nights Bar Harbor area

2 nights Jackson area

1 night Newport area

2 nights Burlington Area

1 night Woodstock area

2 nights Providence area

Saturday 11th October fly home from Boston

If any of you kind people have any recommended places to stay eat in those areas or if anything in the itinerary sounds awful please advise me.

Thank you in advance,

Les

East Haddam...
Level Contributor
584 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning a self drive tour

In Boston even reasonable hotels can get pricey. There are a couple hotels at the Riverside T stop where you can park and take the T into the city. I've also had good luck with hotels in Cambridge for pricing, I think you might miss parents weekends for colleges so, the pricing throughout the city might be down slightly. You can also stay in East Boston and take the T in from there, there are good (not fancy) restaurants that are priced really well in East Boston as well.

I would probably switch Providence with Newport, you can look for B&Bs there or hotels in nearby Middletown.

It might not be a bad idea to check out 1 night in Portland and then the next day/night go up the coast to Wiscasset or Camden. I've heard Reid State Park is nice (never been myself).

You are also hitting a time of year that is a little late, but Sept & Oct are beautiful on Block Island, RI and a big percentage of the island has walking trails.

I always tell people that at the Harpoon Brewery in VT you can go there get some food/beer check out the glass blowing factory next door, and directly next door they have an outdoor sports/activities shop that can direct you to places or different things to do in the area.

If you come through the CT river valley in southern CT Gilettes castle state park is small but has nice trails and views.

Also the drive on route 7 from CT to Manchester, VT is a very nice drive.

If you can try to stay off the highways and stick to the smaller roads.

Lancashire England
Level Contributor
209 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning a self drive tour

Hi There the WinterMe,

Please excuse me, but do you mean the Riverside Station? Google maps is showing 45 mins on the Green line into downtown, is this right?

I'm getting a little worried about Boston, even the hotels 10 miles away are over $200 per night, mind you it is a weekend that I'm going to be there.

Les

East Haddam...
Level Contributor
584 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning a self drive tour

Yes Riverside Station. It does take awhile to get in but you are on the transit line which is really nice. I think for pricewise either that or at the airport is the most cost effective and on the rail lines.

It is a tough city to find less expensive places to stay. Another spot for a really nice nature walk is to stay in Newburyport and go over to plum island wildlife preserve. Half of the barrier island there are no houses and its a complete nature preserve.

7. Re: Planning a self drive tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 04, 2015