We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Juan skyway: hwy 145 or 550?

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
532 posts
8 reviews
3 helpful votes
San Juan skyway: hwy 145 or 550?

Hello,

I will drive from Mesa Verde NP to Black Canyon NP and I plan to drive through San Juan Skyway. I could choose hwy 145 or hwy 550 as my route.

Which one is better for scenic?

Thanks!

Colorado Western...
Destination Expert
for Ouray, Outdoors / Adventure Travel, Montrose
Level Contributor
721 posts
25 reviews
28 helpful votes
1. Re: San Juan skyway: hwy 145 or 550?

They are both very scenic. 550 goes over several high passes and then skirts along a very steep canyon, with dramatic drop-offs. People who aren't used to mountain drives find some of this route terrifying. Even those of us who've lived (and driven) in Colorado all our lives find it a bit scary.

145 goes over Lizard Head pass and also involves some dramatic scenery and drop-offs, but none that are nearly as steep as what you'll encounter on 550.

Let me put it this way -- the passenger(s) will get a great show on either road. The driver may not feel comfortable ever looking at anything except the road on sections of 550.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
532 posts
8 reviews
3 helpful votes
2. Re: San Juan skyway: hwy 145 or 550?

Hello Windlady,

Thanks for your information!

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
13,997 posts
51 reviews
34 helpful votes
3. Re: San Juan skyway: hwy 145 or 550?

I have driven both many times. IMO the Hwy 550 route (the Million Dollar Hwy) is far superior in views. However, it is more "white knuckle driving-if that is an issue for you. I don't find it scary at all....and oh so beautiful.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
532 posts
8 reviews
3 helpful votes
4. Re: San Juan skyway: hwy 145 or 550?

Hello Guys,

Thanks for your information.

Before Mesa Verde NP, I will visit Moab for the NPs around there. I found a better route: from Moab to Telluride via US 46 and 90, then I could go to Mesa Verde via 145. After Mesa Verde, I could go to north via 550 - so I don't get both of 145/550 driving.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
13,997 posts
51 reviews
34 helpful votes
5. Re: San Juan skyway: hwy 145 or 550?

You will still be approaching Telluride via 145, it is the only way to get there. Oddly enough, both routes include 145 in different sections.

Estes Park, Colorado
Level Contributor
405 posts
5 reviews
6 helpful votes
6. Re: San Juan skyway: hwy 145 or 550?

Maybe I missed something, but there seems to be nothing in all this about WHEN this is to happen. If it's in summer or fall, well, then I agree with everything that's been said.

If it's in winter, um...

7. Re: San Juan skyway: hwy 145 or 550?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 06, 2017