We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trying to plan rv trip

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
27 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Trying to plan rv trip

Leaving may 29 into Denver husband wife 3 kids 20 18 17. Renting rv flying out June 10. We are thinking of going south then heading west.

Seeing pikes peak

Colorado springs

Mesa verde

Arches

Valley of the gods

Grand canyon

Zion

Bryce

Any suggestions and help would be greatly appreciated

Black Canyon
Canyons, National Parks
Royal Gorge Bridge and Park
Tramways, Parks, Nature & Wildlife Areas, Canyons, Bridges
WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,775 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trying to plan rv trip

Hi, and welcome to the Colorado forums. I think the Road Trip forum might be a better place for the parts of your question that relate to other states. It's a little tricky to find. Where you see "browse forums," click "all" then under "Beyond Destination Forums" click "see all" at the bottom...oh heck, here's a link! ;)

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Tri…

Be sure to read the Top Question about "Lodging in National Parks." tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i12567-k7364355… You may have difficulty getting a campground space in the parks at this late date, so you can check the individual forums and park websites for campground suggestions outside the parks. There's also a question about comparing RV costs to renting a car and motels.

Another question for you...I wonder if you meant Monument Valley instead of Valley of the Gods. It would be more along the route to the Grand Canyon. Another consideration: I was at the Valley of the Gods last year and the road was pretty rough for a rental RV, and there's no shade at all.

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
6,843 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trying to plan rv trip

Don't forget that you will have to plan on getting yourself to the RV rental place (they don't pick you up), going through an introduction video/training class on how to operate the RV & it's systems, and then stock up on the food, incidentals you will need. That should take most of day 1. Then you also need to allow time on the day you will return the RV to refuel the gas and LP, dump the gray and black tanks, and clean the RV inside and out before returning it to the rental agency for the final check and getting to the airport. That may take up a good chunk of another day. Considering a RV rental can run about $280 or so a day (gets about 11 miles to the gallon) plus your campground fee, it seems a lot of extra work and money. I'm on vacation. I don't cook, make beds, clean a bathroom and dump toilet waste. I stay in hotels.

Plus some of the places you want to visit have very little parking space and you will have to pass by interesting sights because you won't fit. imho, save your money - rent a vehicle that fits your needs, get a cooler for meals on the go and forget the RV.

For some light reading here's the CruiseAmerica RV Renter's guide - cruiseamerica.com/rent/renters_resources/pdf…

Edited: 7:12 pm, April 22, 2014
WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,775 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trying to plan rv trip

SusieLou makes a good point about the parking. National Park roads can be narrow and crowded, and parking at overlooks and attractions limited. Some places vehicles over a certain length are prohibited because of narrow roads, tight turns, or tunnels without overhead clearance. That's why you see so many RV owners who tow a small vehicle behind their RV.

Some of your distances between stops will need to be fairly long drives, so be sure to figure in costs for "excess" mileage charges if your RV company only allows a certain number of miles per day.

We have rented an RV a couple of times, and enjoyed it, but it does require some extra planning and work. That's even true for the pickup camper we own. I think it works best if you're going to be in one place at least several days, and at a park or RV park that has a shuttle service or bus system access.

You haven't allowed yourselves much time to get in-park reservations and I fear some or even many of the places will be booked up and you'll have to pay for a commercial RV park some distance from the sights you want to enjoy. If you find that's the case, don't feel like you're short changing yourselves on a great vacation if you decide to switch gears and go the rental car-hotel/motel route.

Let us know how your planning is going

Colorado
Level Contributor
444 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trying to plan rv trip

I would first look into availability for RV sites where you want to visit. It's honestly kind of late for summer reservations, so many places could be full already.

The best 2 places in pikes peak area in my view are Cheyenne Mtn and Mueller State park, but those could be full. I know Cheyenne Mtn was booked up for every summer weekend 2-3 months ago.

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
6,843 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trying to plan rv trip

Mueller has been shut down due to bear problems in the past, I wouldn't count on it for sure. If you do camp there be prepared to see bears in the campground. …state.co.us/learn/Pages/LivingwithWildlifeC…

6. Re: Trying to plan rv trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, April 25, 2015