We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sledding(pulls you up slope)Dog sledding, Snowmobiling

Kyle, Texas
4 posts
Save Topic
Sledding(pulls you up slope)Dog sledding, Snowmobiling

Sledding (that pulls you up the slope), Dog sledding, Snowmobiling, Hot Tub and Scenery!!!

My husband my daughter (7 yrs) and myself have never been vacationing in CO and looking to go for some much needed vacation.

My husband has really bad arthritis but I want to take him sledding something we can all enjoy and I know there has to be somewhere that pulls you up the slopes.

We would love to stay in an area with all these attractions close by. We are wanting to come in the end of Dec or Jan. It doesn't have to be in a tourist area either.

We are from Austin, TX.

Thank you for your help :0)

~Lisa

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
9,770 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sledding(pulls you up slope)Dog sledding, Snowmobiling

Some info for you: colorado.com/activities/sledding-snowtubing

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
9,770 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sledding(pulls you up slope)Dog sledding, Snowmobiling

You might want to do a search in the forums also. To get you started:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g33327-i838-k69382…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g33388-i253-k69563…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g33327-i838-k69288…

Edited: 2:02 pm, November 05, 2013
WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,023 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sledding(pulls you up slope)Dog sledding, Snowmobiling

I was going to say Durango, but they don't have a lift for their tubing hill that I know of.

How about Keystone?

keystoneresort.com/activities/kidtopia.aspx

keystoneresort.com/activities/winter-activit…

Winter Park, Snow Mountain Ranch

allwinterpark.com/winter_recreation/snow_tub…

clazyu.com/ranch-activities/…

ymcarockies.org/SMR_sledding_and_tubing.htm

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,467 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sledding(pulls you up slope)Dog sledding, Snowmobiling

Keystone would be good for the tubing as the "lift" up is more like an escalator, meaning that you stand up. It is more comfortable and less stress on your arms. Some of the ones that "pull" you up can be quite hard on the upper body! Something to think about if "" he has really bad arthritis "" Also it is at the top of the Mtn, you take the Gondola up, which is pretty cool too.

For the dog sledding / snowmobiling look at Good Times near Breckenridge http://www.snowmobilecolorado.com/

Everyplace has access to a hot-tub, well almost everything and scenery is pretty easy to come by in Colorado!

If you are not skiing you might look at the town of Frisco, the historic area. Cute town with lots of local shops and restaurants. Frisco has a tubing hill too but I have not done that one.

Coming the end of Dec will be the most costly time of year. You might think about late Jan.

Are you flying in or driving in?

Edited: 2:25 pm, November 05, 2013
Delavan, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sledding(pulls you up slope)Dog sledding, Snowmobiling

Keystone was my first thought as well (for the sledding/tubing), though I think you might like staying either in the town of Frisco or over in Breckenridge rather than at the resort itself. The other things you mention are both also relatively close by.

Kyle, Texas
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Sledding(pulls you up slope)Dog sledding, Snowmobiling

Oh wow, thanks for the info. We are still trying to figure out if we want to fly or drive. But I like the ideas posted above…Thank You!

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,467 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sledding(pulls you up slope)Dog sledding, Snowmobiling

This YouTube video will give you an idea of what to expect from the Keystone Experience

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWHHX3N2eyE

Delavan, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sledding(pulls you up slope)Dog sledding, Snowmobiling

<<We are still trying to figure out if we want to fly or drive.>>

Or...take the train. I believe all of this can also be done out of Winter Park and/or Fraser, CO and the train stops at both of these places. (Of course, train service from Florida to Colorado is anything but direct. You could drive faster, let alone fly.)

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
9,770 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sledding(pulls you up slope)Dog sledding, Snowmobiling

The OP is coming from Austin TX.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,467 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sledding(pulls you up slope)Dog sledding, Snowmobiling

Yes, from Texas. That is why I asked about driving VS flying. If driving and willing to give up lift served tubing there are wonderful spots closer.

Unless of course there is lift served tubing south? Perhaps one of the other DE's knows?